Cool Old Token

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went for a short hunt Wednesday afternoon after work with the CZ5. I dug a couple of keepers and this nice old Elgin Adventurers Club Membership token from the Elgin Watch Co. After a little research I discovered that it was from 1890's - 1930's. Apparantly Floyd Gibbons had a radio show in the 1930's that allowed people to write in and tell of their most exotic adventures with a chance for the adventures to be broadcast on the show. The show was sponsored by the Elgin Watch Co. thus the name Elgin Adventurers club. The token has father time on the front and the name of the member engraved on the back. So far I can't find a way to access any records of the original owner. I also dug a wheat penny that I haven't been able to see the date on.

Upvote 6
Very cool find.... hope one of us can find more on this person.... Brad

EDITED: I see the below pictures you posted shows a Elsa Libby and I see where you got that pic which is used as an example (below link). I can't make out the name on the token you found. Is there any chance with a good mag. glass you might be able to "see it" better?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=nZmPUue_F4aekAe81YCYAg&ved=0CDMQ9QEwAw

Last edited:
That's a cool find, especially with someone's name on the back. It couldn't date to the 1890s though if it was associated with a radio show.

great find! Congrats a such a cool token, they are some of my favs to find

That's a cool find, especially with someone's name on the back. It couldn't date to the 1890s though if it was associated with a radio show.

I got that information from a website (see bottom photo). They may have had the tokens before the radio broadcast came out. Not sure !!!

I think the name on the back is J.G. Smith

Nice find. Good luck finding more on the name.

That's a really neat find! Hope you can get more info on the owner!

That token is the bomb! Great find. :hello2:
-MM-

That's a pretty cool. Token.

Very nice find congrats:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back