🥇 BANNER Copper Culture Sawtooth Spear Point.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this 15 minutes ago in central Wisconsin. Still shaking in my boots. Is this the real deal? I did hit it with my shovel chasing a quarter signal.. How do I prevent it from flaking apart? For now it's in a zipper bag till I get home later today. I hope this is real. Always wanted to find a Copper spear.

20230521_094252.jpg

IMG_20230521_094641_01.jpg

20230521_094740.jpg

20230521_094823.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 118
OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congradulations on making the banner!

Congratulations on the banner that is a sweet find! Nice to see a N/A artifact up there.

Thank you both so much. It's still so surreal for me. This hobby is so full of surprises. It's been kind of a crappy year for my family this year. This find is a very welcome and needed suprise that's for sure. I'll take a victory like this any day.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome, I nominate for banner (can't find the button, do they still do this?)

Sawtooth-base Points​

artifacttype17.jpg

These unique types of projectile point are less commonly found. There are fewer than 20 in the museum collection and they were found in both Michigan and Wisconsin. The size range is usually smaller, between 4 to 15 centimeters. The saw-tooth-base is an ingenious form of hafting, resulting in a very secure projectile.

Great read. Thank you for adding to the thread.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give away any specific location, but my great great aunt and uncle had a farm in the town of Clayton, WI (Winnebago County) and after they passed, my grandfather found a cigarbox full of arrowheads they had found while digging in the garden next to the house.

I was allowed to choose one, and I picked the only non-stone one of course (see image attached)

You said you found yours in Central WI - can you say what county? I suspect these came down to central and southern WI through trade from the upper great lakes where raw copper is very common in spots.

Nice find - where there's one, there might be more :)

Attachments

• copperspearhead.jpg
    copperspearhead.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 43

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this 15 minutes ago in central Wisconsin. Still shaking in my boots. Is this the real deal? I did hit it with my shovel chasing a quarter signal.. How do I prevent it from flaking apart? For now it's in a zipper bag till I get home later today. I hope this is real. Always wanted to find a Copper spear.

View attachment 2084807
View attachment 2084808
View attachment 2084809
View attachment 2084811
Whoa Nelly ! I'm shaking too. That is a fantastic find. Congratulations !!

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deltamann

Sep 30, 2010
Northern New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F-75 LTD, Blisstool V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2084807
View attachment 2084808
View attachment 2084809
View attachment 2084811
Outstanding Find. First one of those I have seen dug!

Dragonpride

Oct 14, 2023
OP
OP
Centsless Detecting

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from the Milwaukee Public Museum, you definitely have something in the range of a few thousand years old…and rare.
Good to hear from you IDX. Yes very old and rare indeed. I would love to take a trip up to the Copper Culture museum in Oconto soon and get some more context of the spear. Believe me I never thought I'd find something like this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread