What's new

Copper Token ID Needed

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's an odd one. I have never dug one of these, and it is pretty worn. It is copper. The Obverse has a picture of a man with a beard. (Lincoln?) The reverse has what looks to be the great seal Eagle. If so, then it would be post 1909.

Anyone?
 

Attachments

  • PICT0002.webp
    PICT0002.webp
    85 KB · Views: 273
  • PICT0003.webp
    PICT0003.webp
    90.2 KB · Views: 270
  • PICT0004.webp
    PICT0004.webp
    93.6 KB · Views: 277
I'm not sure I would call it the great seal. Normally when we see the great seal it has a circle of stars above the head of the eagle. From my monitor your token doesn't seem to have the stars. Interesting find though. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Not sure who is on your find yet but here is a similar design from the 1852 campaign-

1687_xweb.jpg
 
Upvote 0
I think I'm getting closer ..but still probably not there :laughing7: 1856 Campaign

2rogvmt.jpg
 
Upvote 0
John Freemont Campaign token "Free Soil and Free Speech"


Nova Treasure
 
Upvote 0
nova treasure said:
John Freemont Campaign token "Free Soil and Free Speech"


Nova Treasure

:laughing7: Yes! I think so - was just cropping the pic

2jcttkz.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Wow, what a great ID!

Thank you.



JOHN C. FREMONT 1865 CAMPAIGN TOKEN
JOHN C FREMONT WAS THE FIRST PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. HE RAN ON THE SLOGAN: "FREE SOIL, FREE LABOR, FREE SPEECH AND FREMONT" . THIS SLOGAN REFERRED TO THE ANTI-SLAVERY STANCE OF THE PARTY.

Frémont's grandest achievement was in exploring the West and making it known through his lively, readable reports (prepared with the help of his wife) and his maps (drawn with the assistance of Charles Preuss). They seem to have been influential in the Mormons' decision to settle in the Salt Lake Valley. He also discovered and named the Great Basin as a geologic and geographic entity and established the correct elevation of the Great Salt Lake at 4,200 feet.
 
Upvote 0
Cool unusual find and superb ID.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom