Counter stamped coin.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is why I like the older detectors, the sounds are different, I don't like the different tones the new machines make, I have a ace 350, not my favorite. I bought and older whites 6000 this machine is awesome, I have the 5900 as well, the detectors are excellent for all types of detecting. This machine has the standard 9" coil, it will pick up the smallest targets. Here are my finds from tonight, I went back to an old tavern site that was there for many years. I know the building must have stood into the 1950s, I have been detecting this site for maybe 15 years on and off, I have found musket parts there as well as coins. As you can see the 1837 token is counter stamped, I have no idea who the merchant was, I hope to find out, the 1859 cent is a common coin on tavern sites up here, I think I have 40 so far. The old car is kinda beat up but I like it, I am sure this site have more goodies to give me. HH DSC02952.JPGDSC02953.JPGDSC02954.JPGDSC02955.JPG

Upvote 18
Nice copper token, I hope you can find info on the counterstamp.

Nice coins! I love the counterstamp, too bad that the 1859 wasn't an 1858 though :laughing7:. I can't believe how well those stood up underground, I have noticed this on many other dug coins from Canada. Either 1800's Canadian coins have much better quality copper, or Canada has great soil.

Last edited:
The D. Trotter (is that last letter an R? I can't quite tell) counterstamp is not listed in the Brunk counterstamp book. I'd suggest placing it on tokencatalog and perhaps somebody there can identify it.
John in the Great 208

Very nice counterstamped copper. There's a Day Trotter in the McGill Atlas. Frontenac region. Working off the phone, so the link is invalid.

Nice coins! I love the counterstamp, too bad that the 1859 wasn't an 1858 though :laughing7:. I can't believe how well those stood up underground, I have noticed this on many other dug coins from Canada. Either 1800's Canadian coins have much better quality copper, or Canada has great soil.
A lot of my fields I detect are of sandy soil, clay does not treat coopers well.

The D. Trotter (is that last letter an R? I can't quite tell) counterstamp is not listed in the Brunk counterstamp book. I'd suggest placing it on tokencatalog and perhaps somebody there can identify it.
John in the Great 208
The R was not complete, I have a friend of mine looking into the name, thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, NICE token! Great shape, too!
Counter Stamped AND Holed!
I saw one token not quite like it, recovered in California, USA...!
...but most are found back east and Canada...!
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back