- #1
Thread Owner
Counterfeits
A wrinkle in the whole Gold search at yard sales is the presence of fakes labeled 14k. The better counterfeits will pass the magnet test. I think the rule of thumb I am finding is that the bolder and more visible the marking, the more apt it is to be plated. The more I have to search for the item and the harder the marking is to see, seems more likely to be authentic. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks for any insight.
A wrinkle in the whole Gold search at yard sales is the presence of fakes labeled 14k. The better counterfeits will pass the magnet test. I think the rule of thumb I am finding is that the bolder and more visible the marking, the more apt it is to be plated. The more I have to search for the item and the harder the marking is to see, seems more likely to be authentic. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks for any insight.
If I hadn't taken a peek I probably could have bought for a buck. 






