What's new

Couple of creek finds from May.

BJS in Iowa

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
89
Reaction score
71
Golden Thread
0
Location
Iowa
Two different hunts. The first was my first find of the year. Happy to get it, even though broken. The second was a couple weeks later. Still haven't had enough rain to stir things up much. Also included a shot of a stretch of one of my creeks from February, for this hot June day...
 

Attachments

  • scraper broke 4-14.webp
    scraper broke 4-14.webp
    68.2 KB · Views: 109
  • knife 5-14-14.webp
    knife 5-14-14.webp
    61.2 KB · Views: 121
  • knife 2 5-14-14.webp
    knife 2 5-14-14.webp
    61.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Feb Iowa glacier.webp
    Feb Iowa glacier.webp
    62.6 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Nice blade. All that snow when melted should of washed something out I would think. What is the lithic material on the blade?
 
The melt didn't wash out much of anything, not even the leaves from last fall. We got some rain on top of it but the ice was so thick all the fall leaves and trash stayed froze in. The creeks still haven't cleaned up completely from last fall.

I'm not sure on the material. I've never found anything like it here. It's very fine grained chert or some kind of flint and the color in the photos is pretty much the same as in real life. If anyone has a clue I'd be interested to know.
 
Your artifact in the last two photo's, what a heartbreaker! And that material is awesome! :icon_thumright:
 
It's not broken other than a tiny bit of tip damage. It is kind of crude though. So my heart's not broken either!
 
It looks to be thinned at the base on purpose. It might have a ding. Around here on some of the knifes I find they did pit a chip like that but it was used as a spokeshave type of thing. It could be a type of jasper if it has a slick feel to it. The other type of material is Chal and I cant spell it.
 
It looks to be thinned at the base on purpose. It might have a ding. Around here on some of the knifes I find they did pit a chip like that but it was used as a spokeshave type of thing. It could be a type of jasper if it has a slick feel to it. The other type of material is Chal and I cant spell it.



Chalcedony?
 
i am thinking i am wrong but it reminds me of porcellanite
 
These shots have a little better look at the tip. Especially the view on the left. Also the other side of the broken scraper.
 

Attachments

  • photo 1 (3).webp
    photo 1 (3).webp
    49.5 KB · Views: 94
  • photo 3 (2).webp
    photo 3 (2).webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 96

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom