Couple of thingies....

Henry Smoot

May 19, 2006
Charleston SC
All of these came from a site that dates to the colonial era near Charleston, SC. One thingy appears to be a bronze bell with a lot of it missing. The other thing looks like it has a broken reed attached but what is it from? The other thing I have no idea..looks like it had some iron on the back that is no longer there...furniture tack?? Any suggestions?? Thanks....Henry

Attachments

• 6feb2008 009.jpg
    6feb2008 009.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 416
  • 6feb2008 007.jpg
    6feb2008 007.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 414
  • 6feb2008 008.jpg
    6feb2008 008.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 415
  • 6feb2008 005.jpg
    6feb2008 005.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 421
  • 6feb2008 006.jpg
    6feb2008 006.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 413
Don't know about the top one. Middle ones look somewhat like harmonica reeds/holders. The last one looks like it could have been some type of tack decoration, with the back portion (where the leather goes through) broken off. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
The reed thingy is from an old "Sqeeze-Box"

Tim

Upvote 0
Second pic is an organ reed....

Upvote 0
The second almost looks like a sight for an old gun? Maybe?
Just my guess...

Bran <><

Upvote 0
small hand sized "squeezible" organ -- like a accordian but smaller ----

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
small hand sized "squeezible" organ -- like a accordian but smaller ----

The correct term for the one you're referring to is "Concertina." This was a popular Civil War-Era Instrument.

-Buckleboy

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
ocarina -- is another term but my spelling of it might be off a bit.

An occarina is a small wind instrument which is played like a recorder by placing fingers over the six holes, it doesn't have any reeds. They fall into the flute category and have been around for about 12,000 years.

Here's a pic of a ceramic occarina:
occarina.jpg

and here's a pic of what the reed most likely came from, a concertina or "squeeze box":
concertina.jpg

....or it could have come from a pump organ
pump organ.jpg

....or even a Melodeon ( This one was a gift from John Brown to his daughter, it was played at his funeral in 1859 after he was hanged)
coolmel.jpg

Hope this clears things up a bit.

-SgtSki

Upvote 0
concertina --- I got the two mixed up (must be the ina)--- concertina "squeeze" box is correct -- it was a highly portible and popular item in the 1860's war era. used by troops for entertainment.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back