Covert Metal Detecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcdonel

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to a beach and while I'm there, I'm going to do some covert metal detecting. I've been thinking of ways I could do this.

I have some old work boots with thick soles. I might be able to take my F2 4" coil and carve a slot out of the sole and slide the 4" coil in them and just run the wire through my pant legs up to the F2 panel.

What do you think? Might I crush the coil? Would it even work?

They make sandals with a built-in metal detector, but I've heard they're not good.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Why "covert" ? Why not just go regular metal detecting?

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Covert? The guy with long pants at the beach, shuffling along and then randomly scooping or dropping to his knees digging. That makes sooo much more sense than swinging a machine.

OP
OP
E

emcdonel

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Covert? The guy with long pants at the beach, shuffling along and then randomly scooping or dropping to his knees digging. That makes sooo much more sense than swinging a machine.

It's covert because I'm going to a beach where metal detecting is not allowed. I'll be metal detecting there anyway. Normally, there are no people as far as the eye can see. Occasionally, a ranger in an offroad vehicle will drive by. I will also be detecting at night, in which a ranger will occasionally drive by, perhaps once per hour.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hahahaha I can't stop laughing!

Hey Tom, he must be detecting on a Turkish beach huh?!?! Oh my damn! I got all these crazy images in my head- trying to picture it is so funny!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's covert because I'm going to a beach where metal detecting is not allowed. I'll be metal detecting there anyway. Normally, there are no people as far as the eye can see. Occasionally, a ranger in an offroad vehicle will drive by. I will also be detecting at night, in which a ranger will occasionally drive by, perhaps once per hour.

Uhhhh, how about you just go someplace else to detect? Is it really worth getting in trouble over?

Last edited:

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Normally no people there? What do you hope to find? What type of beach would be off-limits?

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of covert legal detecting why because don't like to be bothered why doing it but that's just me I guess.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say just detect normally and if you get any hassles, just explain that you do not recognize a government that has slowly been stripping your constitutional rights, and violating the dreams of our forefathers. Make them forcibly remove you from the beach if they really want you to leave. We are going to be encroached upon more and more until there is widespread resistance.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for sh#*s and giggles how about getting a roll around drink cooler, drill a hole for the cable to go through, drill holes and zip tie the coil to the bottom of the cooler. Attach the screen to just inside the lid,have a plastics and scoop inside the cooler. Drag that thing around and when u hear a tone stop & dig. Covert coil cooler, for that hard to reach beach. Nobody take my idea!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just for sh#*s and giggles how about getting a roll around drink cooler, drill a hole for the cable to go through, drill holes and zip tie the coil to the bottom of the cooler. Attach the screen to just inside the lid,have a plastics and scoop inside the cooler. Drag that thing around and when u hear a tone stop & dig. Covert coil cooler, for that hard to reach beach. Nobody take my idea!

Haha I'm diggin it! You could market that I think! They'd buy a ton of them in turkey!!!!!!

Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Whites Prizm 6T,
Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it's a cooler, why not "hear a tone stop & dig" and have a cold one! That would seem much more natural, right?

And to the original poster; is it South Padre? I've heard they can take your detector and more.
Back to killin' snakes...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like this idea! And I'd make it a rule you have to shotgun a beer each time you hit a target. May be real fun after about the 5th or 6th pulltab :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

emcdonel,

How do you know the beach is off-limits to detecting? Is that actually written somewhere? Or Did you go ask "can I metal detect" and found some desk-bound bureaucrat to tell you "no" ? Tell us that first please, where you got your information.

Next: aside from the debatable issue of whether or not someone should be "detecting an off-limits beach", I will say this:

If a) there's no people as far as the eye can see, and b) you're going to be going at night, and c) if there even WERE a ranger to come by at night, it would only be "perhaps 1x p/hour" and d) if he's making rounds in a beach vehicle (jeep, buggy, or whatever they drive), the presumably he'll have headlights. Therefore why not just detect normally, since e) you would simply see headlights coming from a long ways off. No? Time to go take a seat at the foot of the dunes for a "break", eh? and f) just wait till he's "made his rounds" and detect an hour.

Last edited:

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you wear your aluminum foil helmet when you go.. Just so you don't draw to much attention to yourself.. HH

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was having the same thoughts while touring a civil war sight. The curator said he lets his buddy detect the all the time! They used to allow metal detecting but so many jerks kept leaving holes uncovered until they just outlawed it all together. Afraid that's going to happen everywhere with more people "digging" rather than detecting!

OP
OP
E

emcdonel

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
emcdonel,

How do you know the beach is off-limits to detecting? Is that actually written somewhere? Or Did you go ask "can I metal detect" and found some desk-bound bureaucrat to tell you "no" ? Tell us that first please, where you got your information.

Next: aside from the debatable issue of whether or not someone should be "detecting an off-limits beach", I will say this:

If a) there's no people as far as the eye can see, and b) you're going to be going at night, and c) if there even WERE a ranger to come by at night, it would only be "perhaps 1x p/hour" and d) if he's making rounds in a beach vehicle (jeep, buggy, or whatever they drive), the presumably he'll have headlights. Therefore why not just detect normally, since e) you would simply see headlights coming from a long ways off. No? Time to go take a seat at the foot of the dunes for a "break", eh? and f) just wait till he's "made his rounds" and detect an hour.

This is a national seashore, where all detecting is off-limits with hefty fines and equipment confiscation. This is a famous national seashore on an island in a region known for the huge number of shipwrecks and the occasional gold coin washing up from the "graveyard of the Atlantic." The beach is sparsely populated, except at certain points, and is many miles long.

I do not want to be nailed by a ranger, who drive their Jeeps up and down the beach from time to time. You can be seen at a long distance at this location, so I don't wish to appear suspect.

OP
OP
E

emcdonel

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is not a bad idea.

What about building into a shoe?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
This is a national seashore, where all detecting is off-limits with hefty fines and equipment confiscation. This is a famous national seashore on an island in a region known for the huge number of shipwrecks and the occasional gold coin washing up from the "graveyard of the Atlantic." The beach is sparsely populated, except at certain points, and is many miles long.

I do not want to be nailed by a ranger, who drive their Jeeps up and down the beach from time to time. You can be seen at a long distance at this location, so I don't wish to appear suspect.

ah a federal beach then, eh?

Ok, don't do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread