What's new

Creek Find

monsterrack

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
5,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the best carved bone I have ever found. It looks to be a leg bone(I'm no bone expert)maybe a handle for some thing. Hope someone can give me some ideas, Y'all where great on the bolo/egg stone. bone handle 001.webpbone handle 002.webpbone handle 003.webpbone handle 004.webpbone handle 005.webpbone handle 006.webpbone handle 007.webpI have looked at this piece under the scope there are no tool marks, it was done by hand. It was laying in mud and I almost walked past it, spotted it on the 2nd pass over on the rock bar. In my area we have creeks that have a lot of sand and gravel and they are real hard on artifacts, but then we have our clay bottom creeks, if you find gravel you will find artifacts.
 
Upvote 0
Wow M.R.,
That is really cool, must be a handle for a knife, ceremonial?.
Does bone preserve well in your area?
Congrats, that is pretty awesome.
BCI
 
I'm a big creek hunter great find
 
Wow. Great workmanship on that bone ! It almost looks like my golf clubs grip. That is a great find.
 
Wow M.R.,
That is really cool, must be a handle for a knife, ceremonial?.
Does bone preserve well in your area?
Congrats, that is pretty awesome.
BCI

Bone only preserve well in mix of water , mud and clay. Bone in any of the regular soil will not last over 200 yrs. In my area we have a layer of grey clay about 20 to 30 ft. down. Where I hunt is in a ravine that has banks that range from 30 to 60 ft. tall. Around 12,000 yrs. ago strong winds brought in a layer of losses soil, it ranges from 15 to 60 ft. thick, it covers the gray clay.
 
Last edited:
That's a really nice find. Congratulations!
 
I'm a big creek hunter great find

I love creek walking , you never know what you will find. I have found Indian, prehistoric, civil war, post civil war artifacts and a set of human remains, which was creepy.
 
Yes sir I found a rim and a car the other day lol no telling I've never found human remains in a creek lol creepy
 
95% of the time we creek hunt. I would absolutely die if I found human remains. Something I always keep in the back of my mind as there are a few missing people from the area.
 
One time we were camping and we went for a walk and found a new truck out in the woods had a guy in the bed who committed suicide about 4 days pryer it was summer and it was awful !!!
 
This thread seems to have taken a left on Macabre St. Cool find.
 
Just a few observations and only my opinion. Looks to be a handle for an iron implement, looks to be traces of rust in the hole. The checkering design is more colonial than indian, as it is frequently seen on firearms, definitely hand carved, the owner took much time to do this, must have been a prized implement (knife) ? Nice find and keen observation on your part.
 
Just a few observations and only my opinion. Looks to be a handle for an iron implement, looks to be traces of rust in the hole. The checkering design is more colonial than indian, as it is frequently seen on firearms, definitely hand carved, the owner took much time to do this, must have been a prized implement (knife) ? Nice find and keen observation on your part.
I agree on the colonial, the checkering looks almost to good to be native American, Thanks
 
One time we were camping and we went for a walk and found a new truck out in the woods had a guy in the bed who committed suicide about 4 days pryer it was summer and it was awful !!!

That probably would have ended my creek walking. I had planned to go fishing before daybreak one morning a couple of years back at a secluded spot where the lakes overflow is held. I ate breakfast and started loading my boat. While hooking my boat to my truck, I got sick as a dog from the 8 day old collard greens I had for breakfast. Had to call the fishing off for the day and I'm glad I did. A person was found hanging from the bridge around noon that day. Had I not gotten sick, I'd have found the body. I freak out at the thought of it. By the way, the artifact posted here is one of a kind. I'd say banner worthy!!
 
Just a few observations and only my opinion. Looks to be a handle for an iron implement, looks to be traces of rust in the hole. The checkering design is more colonial than indian, as it is frequently seen on firearms, definitely hand carved, the owner took much time to do this, must have been a prized implement (knife) ? Nice find and keen observation on your part.

Agree
 
I would have picked it up. I agree it is probally white man as opposed to Native American. Probally a handle of some sort. Knife, cooking pot..... something to that effect. Great find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom