What's new

Creek find

gentleone444

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2017
Messages
336
Reaction score
356
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am beyond stoked! I spotted this from 10ft away and couldn't believe my eyes! Now I've been hunting for about 3 years and have only found a handful of scrapers so you could call this my first real "point"! Any help with ID would be great appreciated! 20190517_175303.webp20190517_202505.webp20190517_202509.webp
 
Upvote 0
That thing is gorgeous!
 
:icon_thumright: That's Cool! It's a bummer the tip is not there.
 
Its a archaic dovetail knife. Killer artifact save........
 
Last edited:
Nice find that’s a sweet knife .... gonna be hard to top that but if that’s in the creek who knows what else is
Is the tip broke or worn down ?
 
Is it long enough to be a knife?20190517_210430.webp
 
Heavily used very nice knife. Great save congratulations.
 
I agree with Catherine since we don't know what part of the country you're in. Around here it would be something like a Bolen plain. Love the color of the material.
 
I'm in northwest pa on lake erie
 
Congrats on your first.Appears to me to have been used as a knife also.But it still could have been used as a projectile as well.
 
Last edited:
Not a Dovetail in my opinion. Maybe a Kirk or Meadow wood. Nice.
 
I lean toward Kirk Corner Notched -with that Base and Notching. It’s well worn, but I think I see the remnants of Serrations which, (if present) would support that designation.
Also, it very well could be a knife.
 
What was this piece? C42B0CEF-CE5B-403A-B800-0A7B2EA135F5.webp kinda looks similar material
 
Good eye! Went back today and grabbed it...maybe just a scaper? The top and bottom pieces look like same material but maybe just waste material or natural. Any thought?20190519_155026.webp20190519_155032.webp20190519_155038.webp20190519_155044.webp20190519_154535.webp20190519_154548.webp
 
Perhaps waste material since I don't see workings that would indicate it being a scraper...despite that is exactly what I would have saved to make a scraper out of.

Also, awesome knife! People get so focused on finding a 'perfect' point with well-defined tip, but what you found stayed with someone and was used and re-worked which I find more significant. That tool meant something to someone, and now you have it to appreciate.
 
And I really do appreciate! I feel connected to that person. It will always be my first point and was well earned, I believe. Truly honored.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom