Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a new spot with my uncle who is up from Texas. There are a series of 5 cellar holes in this area and we hunted the first one we came to. This area looks like it's going to be GOOD! Dates back to about 1730-40 from the research I have done. The best part is, it appears from the finds at the first hole, that these are untouched. I think the first hole was more around 1850's judging from the finds. The first thing I found was this baseball sized crotal bell. Then found the smaller one. Got 3 IH's and this silver watch back. Cannot seem to find these makers marks. Maybe someone can help. The top one is a "wild turkey". The next is a bow and arrow with something I cannot make out what it is, along with the letters "A N". Then a bird perched on top of an "ingot" that has "0,800". Then I guess the watch number of "718" with a small "6" below the "1". Can someone decipher? Also found a soup spoon with "Tuttle" makers mark. Closest I can come is a Boston based Tuttle Co. from 1890. Thanks...........Hogge.

Attachments

• DSC00473.JPG
    DSC00473.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,273
  • DSC00474.JPG
    DSC00474.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,241
  • DSC00469.JPG
    DSC00469.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,214
  • DSC00471.JPG
    DSC00471.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,199
  • DSC00472.JPG
    DSC00472.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,222
Upvote 0
Incredible bell! The largest I have ever seen of that type anywhere.

Wow hogge! :o That is one huge crotal bell!

Love the engraving on the silver watch back! :notworthy:

I'd love to have seen what the rest of the watch originally looked like! :thumbsup:

Dave

awesome that things huge

wow that is a honker of a bell!!! nice silver!! MR TUFF

Beauty of a crotal! :hello2: Looks in nice shape. Very unique watch back, too. WTG :icon_thumleft:

Awesome bell. I can't even imagine the size of the cow that had to wear that thing. :thumbsup:

FunWithTreasure said:
I think that the watch case is silver doesnt 800 stand for silver
Thanks FWT. I'm actually looking for someone to decipher the makers marks as regards to who and when the piece was made. Can't seem to find anything in my research. If 800 means silver, what does the perched bird on top of the ingot mean?

Great Finds! That bell is awesome!!
Beautifully engraved Silver watchback :o
It seems that watches were made with unusual silver alloys,
I dug a 1920s Movado WW marked .835.
.800 is referred to as 'German Silver', you might find your bird here:
http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_marks_a1884.html
( it wouldn't let me access the 'N' page from the 'AN' mark on yours)
The other numbers may be a horologists personal reference marks to track what work he had previously done on the watch. I usually see them engraved rather than stamped
HH :thumbsup:
Would love to see your spoon and its markings !!

Great finds...that bell is pretty awesome and a tough one to find intact.

.800 refers to it being 80% silver. The bird is the maker's mark and that will require some research.

BOOOYAAA now that there is a crotal bell!!
I think it came from Paul Bunyan's blue ox Babe!!! AWESOME finds buddy cant wait to see what else you guys dig up..... we don't have any cellar holes here in Cali :(

I've seen a lot of crotal bells over the years and that's by far the biggest one yet! like romeo stated hard to get them intact and a big one like that missed the plow for sure... great finds :icon_thumright:

I think I have 2 that size that are intact, is there A number on it for size, A 7 or 8?
Pro-

Wow! That's the biggest crotal bell I've ever seen! That's one for the display case. Congrats! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back