Cruciform FOUND!!!! oooooo yeah ;)

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
We drove around 1200 miles this weekend to go digging in Bandera/Uvalde county TX just to have our trip cancelled due to bad weather once we got there..... What a heart break for me and my friends, all that time and money wasted...

So yesterday, still on vacation time me and a bud go out, very slow day and as i was walking back to the car, a few hundred yards away i see this little gem laying there, i was like no freaking way!!!!! The thrill of this was like finding a complete Folsom, 30 minuets after finding it my body was drained, felt like jello after the adraniline rush.

Here is the crazy part..... I went to a guy for a deep Riker case less than a week before, for our S Texas dig finds, and while im checking out a guy standing there asked me out of the blue if I have ever found a Cruciform before, I said no, but thats on the top wish list of my finds. Its strange why he would ask me that starting up a conversation of artifacts...

It has had some major time and care put into it, ground all around, no sharp edges, no nicks, get this, when you hold it up into the light, its translucent banded obsidian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have only seen one of these before, in a museum collection, in my opinion these are more rare that complete Folsom pieces.

Freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ENJOY
CHONG

Attachments

• IMAG1795.jpg
    IMAG1795.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 2,446
  • CIMG1300.JPG
    CIMG1300.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,431
  • CIMG1301.JPG
    CIMG1301.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 2,405
  • CIMG1306.JPG
    CIMG1306.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,389
  • CIMG1305.JPG
    CIMG1305.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 2,408
  • CIMG1303.JPG
    CIMG1303.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,411
  • CIMG1304.JPG
    CIMG1304.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,414
  • CIMG1298.JPG
    CIMG1298.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 2,418
  • CIMG1297.JPG
    CIMG1297.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,486
Upvote 11

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That looks pretty neat! I can see it is a worked obsidian, but what is it? What was its purpose?

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very unique, don't mean to be redundant but what is it or it's purpose, a charm?

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
BANNER BANNER BANNER. 1ST ONE IVE EVER SEEN ON HERE AS PERSONAL FIND. CONGRATS CHONG

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
For me that's one of the coolest artifacts out there. Very specific to you locations but something I've always wanted to find. Banner vote for me. Amazing find, again.

Joe

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
Wow! I've never heard of this but it is very interesting. Thanks for sharing and good luck in the future!

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Thanks guys , yes they are unique to a very small area , but none the less like everone said only read about them :) its one of my damned coolest pieces ever found , i have very few polished artifact pieces to be found in my area . Enjoy guys

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner :icon_thumleft: really interesting , sorry I don't know anything about a Cruciform ... must be a very rare find

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW, so cool. Love it.

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you've made the banner with the cruciform! Well done! Do you have any info about it? What's it's purpose?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Congrats on the banner. Cruciforms are really only found in West Texas and Southern New Mexico. Even there they're very rare. I've never seen one in person, nor have I ever actually even so much as heard a story of someone personally finding one. They're rare. I haven't seen any description of what they were use for that I buy. As far as manufacture they are flaked and then ground into shape. Occassionally they're faceted or polished. This is all without the use of metal. For me they're an amazing and rare artifact. Chong is really cleaning up in the Southwest.

Well done sir. It's your world and we're all just living in it.

Joe

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Congrats, I have to say, I am a bit surprised that something we know so little about, (pretty much nothing it sounds like) is so exciting. Even I cant help but get lost in thought and wonder about your find. Its almost magical, very provacative. Again, congrats. One of the reasons I love this site is the shared knowledge that it creates, before today, I could see myself finding something like that (not that i ever would, im in utah) but then misplacing it, before ever finding out that it is so significant.

Its pretty awesome, well deserved banner as far as Im concerned. If anyone knows anything about this little creation, I am all ears and very curious.

Chris.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, total shot in the dark here.

But could it be a type of fishing hook?

Not in the traditional manner, but I wonder if that thing gets swallowed with the bait, it gets lodged in the fish's stomach and allows the whole fish to be pulled out of the water?

Maybe that's laughably crazy, but dang, I hate mysteries. ;D

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a fantastic BANNER find! :thumbsup: Breezie

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
From what Ive read they were worn in the ears. 2 were found on either side of a skull when a burial was unearthed. Thats the only use Ive ever heard besides that its usually unknown. Congrats on BANNER!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread