CTX 3030 6" coil

mudd punk

May 4, 2009
Sacramento ca.
Detector(s) used
CTX 30/30,Whites v3i, Garrett pinpointer, garrett pinpointer AT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 6" coil and have used it on a few different occasions finding several coins but feel that I don't get any depth when I use it. Usually around 5" What is the depth I should expect to get with this coil? Are there different settings I should be using to get more depth?

OP
OP
mudd punk

mudd punk

May 4, 2009
Sacramento ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you put the 6" coil on the CTX does it differentiate between the different coil sizes automatically or do you need to manually adjust the sensitivity?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth is related to size, the smaller the coil the less depth you get. What is your sensitivity set at too? If not using manual see if you can use manual, 20-30....

On auto+3 I get about 8-9" on stock 11" coil, on manual 24-28 I get 12+ inches on same stock coil.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mp. its always a good idea to noise cancel after anything significant changes. Coils included.
Running Auto+3 or manual (or anything else) is on a site by site, minute by minute basis imo. If you aren't sure, you prob ought to run A+3.

eta: sorry, I think I didn't answer part of your question. The CTX recognizes which coil it has.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No setting to adjust, but like it was mentioned I would do a noise cancel. Regarding depth, I would say 8 inches is about all. I bought the Coil Tek elliptical and other than more ground coverage and a little more balance on the lower shaft, I didn't see an improvement on depth.

OP
OP
mudd punk

mudd punk

May 4, 2009
Sacramento ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when you say auto+3 this is noise canceling then going in to sensitivity and bumping it up 3 times

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get solid hit on 7 - 8" deep coins when using the 6"

OP
OP
mudd punk

mudd punk

May 4, 2009
Sacramento ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the maximum 11 on the auto sensitivity. I changed it it was set at 8 so I will be running at the max? I tried this it seemed to work pretty well I was getting targets to 7"

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the maximum 11 on the auto sensitivity. I changed it it was set at 8 so I will be running at the max? I tried this it seemed to work pretty well I was getting targets to 7"

I dont understand what you are asking. Auto and manual sensitivity both use the same settings. Auto sens, the detector picks the highest, stable level for the ground under the coil.

OP
OP
mudd punk

mudd punk

May 4, 2009
Sacramento ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it was on 8 when I went to auto so I moved it up 3 to 11 but it would not let me go any higher is 11 the max setting in auto?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it was on 8 when I went to auto so I moved it up 3 to 11 but it would not let me go any higher is 11 the max setting in auto?

thats not the sensitivity setting, that is the noise cancel channel setting. When you hit the noise cancel button, it listens to each of those 11 channels and picks the quietest one. Sensitivity range is from 1 - 30.

Have you read your owners manual yet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mudd punk

mudd punk

May 4, 2009
Sacramento ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have and andys book maybe I should check it out again. Lol

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the center see the icon at 9 o-clock, that is sensitivity, you push and hold it, that will bring up hidden menu that allows you to switch between auto and manual, hit it again and it allows you to adjust the sensitivity setting for both manual or auto.

f8da6b378c22123c5969c13016027704.jpg

OP
OP
mudd punk

mudd punk

May 4, 2009
Sacramento ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I'm on the same page so is it set at a standard number or what determines the setting ? And whatever it is I just make it three higher and that is auto +3? Why not make it +5. Does it get chatty if you raise the number to high or what are the drawbacks? Thanks for all the help I do find great things I just want more like anything else I guess!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can run the manual sensitivity all the way up, but too high and it will get erratic. But with the CTX 3030 small coil, I recommend running the sensitivity up into the high 20's if your ground will support it.

There is an auto sensitivity function that automatically adjusts the sensitivity to your soil conditions. It also has a +1 +2 +3 option to run hotter. In addition, there is a manual sensitivity setting that you can set from 1-30.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff

Last edited:
OP
OP
mudd punk

mudd punk

May 4, 2009
Sacramento ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Wayne I was messing with the sensitivity without a problem but the auto +3 was throwing me because you have to hold the button I did get it figured out now I will be getting out again in the next few days I was able to find a few things this last weekend with the new settings and will continue to mess with them this next week. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455758277.046008.jpg
These were the highlights with the 6" coil site is pretty trashy. Hope to find more this next week

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread