Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a ride up to The Bronx today. I hunted this park last week and there was a slight coating of frost in some areas. Today I had a grove of trees in mind but didn't expect to encounter frozen ground because it pretty much rained all night and never dropped below freezing.
I found the CTX to be well balanced so the difference in weight between the E-Trac and the CTX didn't matter. I used the stock coil and started out in COINS, program #1. The VDI numbers are pretty much the same as the E-Trac. My first coin was a nickel. I found that to be funny because there is a park that I sometimes hit on weekends,, where it seems every coil swinger that hits that park tends to use a CTX. These guys don't dig too many shallow coins, which leaves an abundance of nickels.
I hit 3 targets that produced a 1- 41 or a 1- 43 VDI. That is a Silver Dollar Signal. In all 3 cases these deep targets turned out to be large Copper or Brass items. I recovered a brass veteran's coin as well as a brass token that were both close to the size of a Silver Dollar, but they both came in like quarters. The feature that I most enjoyed today was the VDI that pretty much was on the money by identifying the target as Iron. Saved a bit of digging because this machine doesn't scream like the E-Trac when the coil goes over Silver and sometimes Iron and Silver will come in with identical audio reports. I'm going to try to get back to this spot again tomorrow. I got a feeling about this grove.
My finds for the day were: 28q, 28d, 6n, 30 nickels, 4 Wheat Pennies, (25, 46(2), & 56d), and an 1956d Silver Roosevelt Dime.
I also recovered a Veteran's Coin, a Seagram's Token, a small brass item that is folded shut but I think it contains a lens for starting Campfires, a junk hoop earring, key, beaded chain, and some copper and brass scrap.

IMG_2917.JPG IMG_2918.JPG IMG_2915.JPG IMG_2919.JPG IMG_2916.JPG IMG_2921.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 22

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul of clad! That Veterans token is awesome! Congrats

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a good outing with a new machine ! I'm sure once you master those tones you will zero in on the deeper older targets. HH gl. Eastcoast. Great pile of finds. I have a segrams token too.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ATW YOU REALLY CLEANED UP.....

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That CtX is one mean machine. Once mastered it is a force that surpasses most detectors. If you want any tips or programming/programs send me a PM.

Cheers

Steve

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Super hunt. Congrats on the coins!

No pull tabs?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a great hunt. Anyone leaving behind those quarters is leaving silver in the ground! 90% of all the silver rings I find will ID as quarters. Even little kids silver rings will come in as dimes, so those numbers should NEVER be ignored, regardless of depth.

A word of caution since you are coming from the E-Trac, do not try to cherry-pick silvers. Whatever changed between the FBS and FBS2 caused a blur of distinction between copper cents and silver dimes. Coin thickness plays into this a lot. A highly worn seated dime can read as low as CO 39/40 and a thick and slightly corroded copper cent can read as a CO 45. So for the people who liked to silver-snipe and just dig the CO44 and higher with the E-Trac WILL be missing a lot of silver with the CTX.

stratos

Mar 4, 2012
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the bottom left picture, the square thing with the hole in it. That is the strand clamp to a pressure tap that was used in the 60 to mid 70's by the cable companies. They are brass, and I bet that sounded real nice on your machine. Good luck.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice maiden voyage- looks like you're going to have a really nice, long successful journey with your new machine. Congrats & GL!

-- Jeff --

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding silver on your first hunt with that new machine , You also found some spending money.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the upgrade and today's finds. Looks like you had plenty of targets to dig. You sure do have a great arsenal of detectors.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice review of the machine and I like the observations coming from the Etrac. I'll be making that switch here in a couple of months.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very productive hunt! I like to copper coins. :occasion14:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck with the CTX, I think one of the Best all around machines made...Very Good outing also, Stay warm up there!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice ATW. The CTX is a bad boy! Best of luck to you. Hopefully the weather will continue to cooperate!

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A word of caution since you are coming from the E-Trac, do not try to cherry-pick silvers. Whatever changed between the FBS and FBS2 caused a blur of distinction between copper cents and silver dimes. Coin thickness plays into this a lot. A highly worn seated dime can read as low as CO 39/40 and a thick and slightly corroded copper cent can read as a CO 45. So for the people who liked to silver-snipe and just dig the CO44 and higher with the E-Trac WILL be missing a lot of silver with the CTX.[/QUOTE]

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a winner of a place to hunt and the finds are proving it! Congrats

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jason,, the Silver Rosie came in as a Wheat penny, 12 - 40.
That explains it.
Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread