What's new

Cubic thingy, Rounded top????

DavidBeard

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
507
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
1
Location
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea what these are and neither does the farmer.
They keep turning up on one of my regular farms but the strange thing is they aren't turning up on any of the others in the nearby area.
About 10mm square at lower end x 20mm high x 13mm square at the top.
Some still having the 'turned' round top, some with a 'dint' in the bottom others not.
They appear in 2 sizes - the smaller ones being 6mm x 13mm x 7mm
Any idea as to what they are?
Thanks.

Micks-Square-Thingy-1.webp

Micks-Square-Thingy-2.webp

Micks-Square-Thingy-3.webp

Micks-Square-Thingy-4.webp
 
Are the holes threaded? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Maybe they go to machinists lathe ?
 
Upvote 0
Are they iron? Brass?

Found in the field or near out buildings?

They look tapered - like some kind of plug...

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
they are gate valve tops,for squire key,water valve most likely
 
Upvote 0
I have seen these somewhere ... :icon_scratch: ...lock related? electrical? Could you find a pic of these square gate valve tops? Are they broken?
 
Upvote 0
They look very much like spray nozzles for herbicides and pesticides. If they are solid they were used to plug the holes in the spray bar where you didn't want any spray to come out. This is the newer version,


http://www.sprayparts.com/dealer/SprayParts/default.cfm?PID=1.12&SP_ObjectID=13409&SP_ID=9.1.32

HH Charlie

Actually those are the spray tips, these are what the plugs look like now, evidently they don't have the large square projecting out of them anymore (it's been 20 years since I ran a spray rig, man I feel old).

http://www.sprayparts.com/dealer/SprayParts/default.cfm?PID=1.12&SP_ObjectID=12122&SP_ID=10.18
 
Upvote 0
I haven't a clue & have never found even 1 :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
My guess is rivet/gromet dies
 
Upvote 0
I'd be curious to know what they are as well. I found one on this side of the pond recently at an old farm site.

SDC10301.jpg


SDC10302.jpg
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I have seen these somewhere ... :icon_scratch: ...lock related? electrical? Could you find a pic of these square gate valve tops? Are they broken?
i have seen them also...i think i pryed some of the out of something???
 
Upvote 0
Easy...Anglo Saxon football stud's! :) (soccer cleats..for you Americans.)

My first thought was teeth from some kind of threshing machine? Or iron wheel treads,for grip in soft/muddy fields?
 
Upvote 0
The negative and positive battery posts from an auto/tractor battery? :dontknow:

Scott
 
Upvote 0
Any chance that these are from a farm's center pivot or other part of a farm sprinker (irrigation) system?

I have no idea...
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Any chance that these are from a farm's center pivot or other part of a farm sprinker (irrigation) system?

I have no idea...
I don't know but, I found one similar last week Here in the States similar. It was in a field as well. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
My guess is rivet/gromet dies
All my grommet dies are steel. Isnt brass kinda soft for hammering? Im assuming they are brass.
 
Upvote 0
The one I found is brass.
 
Upvote 0
Cy, I don't know if these could be hard enough for grommet dies either (brass can be hardened to a degree), but if they are, they were probably part of a small pressing outfit, maybe hand-held, or maybe designed to fit a small bench arbor. It is the tapered square base which looks correct, as it would not jam, but would be easy to remove and change in the same way a blacksmith's various dies and swages taper to fit the hardy hole in his anvil . If this was a set of dies, you would think there would be one larger die which had a square opening to hold a smaller die's base (so they could all adapt to the same machine the way socket wrenches adapt to one sized handle)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom