Curious about this eagle belt plate. Any ideas?

1digger

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2010_0430thisweeksfinds0001.JPG 2010_0717thisweeksfinds0002.JPG 2010_0717thisweeksfinds0003.JPG 2010_0717thisweeksfinds0001.JPG I found this eagle insignia belt plate today on the grounds of a house that was built around the turn of the 20th century. Also found there was a small copper badge that seemed to be a souvenir from the "Annual State Encampment", celebrated (I believe) in Philadelphia in 1899. Is this a belt plate from that period or is it actually Civil War? For all I know, it could be civilian. Also found, 1862 "fattie", pewter spoon handle and some odds and ends. Thanks for looking and any help will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Upvote 13

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I would say that is it. Where did you find yours? Any tips on cleaning or idea of value? Thanks everyone for your help. Pennsylvania militia?

In terms of cleaning, it is already clean. It has great eye appeal. To go any further would ruin the plate (take the patina off).

Value? I really have no clue, but most pre-war militia plates aren't worth more than $200-$300, which is more a function of demand and supply than actual rarity. There were many more Civil War plates produced, but they are also in much higher demand. That's a great find, and one you aren't likely to ever repeat. Just the fact that I've never seen this pattern of plate recovered and posted on Tnet should speak to its rarity.

Regards,

Buckleboy

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer Find! That's is so beautiful, might be more relics there!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found a nice one:thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a classy looking piece of Americana there - That will look very cool in a wall ,or coffee table display case - and I think that honest
patina is the look for that one ! Great Find .

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just took another look at your pictures. Does that spoon have " 56 " on it? Congrats again on your finds. I am amazed this thread doesn't have more replies. The plate is a great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread