What's new

CW related?

Elliott Ness

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2008
Messages
97
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac / Garett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a field near the battle at Crampton's Gap. We have found CW spurs, buckles, bullets, and coins at this site so far. I'm just not sure if this is CW related or not? Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks and happy hunting.
 

Attachments

  • CIMG2367.webp
    CIMG2367.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 362
  • CIMG2367.webp
    CIMG2367.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 366
Kinda looks like a trigger. Need more pics from different angles.
 
Upvote 0
A little electrolysis would do wonders on that piece. Kinda' looks like a broken piece of a trigger guard to me. Really too corroded to tell much. Monty
 
Upvote 0
It looks like the lever portion off of a spencer repeating carbine. You may locate the rest of it close by.
 
Upvote 0
Crampton's Gap is in Maryland near south mountian. Thanks Harold 499, and you can bet that I wil be going back again to searching for other parts. Thanks again.
 
Upvote 0
Which model of spencer level repeating carbine is it from? Can you post a pic of it?

I do think the relic is from a trigger guard/lever/or trigger, just not sure which one.

I once got a Cadillac key and have been driving same ever since. Great US car :icon_thumright:

Elliott Ness get back and recover more relics :icon_sunny:
 

Attachments

  • Spencer.webp
    Spencer.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0
The trigger guard, and lever of a Spencer are the same piece. Here is a photo. The model used during the war was the model 1860.

DSC04314.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Kind of like this?
This was my great grandfathers.
 

Attachments

  • 103_0192.webp
    103_0192.webp
    212.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 103_0193.webp
    103_0193.webp
    123.7 KB · Views: 208
Upvote 0
Beautiful rifles, but I think its stretching it to connect this piece with a Spencer Rifle.
 
Upvote 0
I have to agree that this will be a tough to ID piece. I put up the Spencer pic to compare to. I don't beliece it is a trigger guard, or lever action from the CW. Also for comparison, here is a US 1861/1863 triggerguard and trigger assembly.

IMG_4394.jpg
 
Upvote 0
I would agree with the last two posts. Just not sure what it could be. I plan on putting it through some electrolysis to see if it helps any? It a pretty thin piece as well its just got a weird shape to it? Thanks again.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom