What's new

CZ-20

anticipater

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I started detecting in 1968 and I am now 75 and I have enjoyed ever min of it wish I was 31 again but on to the topic I have a CZ-20 I bought in 1997 great machine I contacted fisher for tune up but was told they longer had parts for the 20 but could up grade with CZ-21 parts case coil wire housing and face plate for $279.00 but no electroics fix I have heard that the 21 is not as good as the 20 also $1400.00 all in for new one a lot of money at my age would it be worth up grade as they don't realy do much only fix a loose coil wire at control box a lot of questions THATS FOR YOUR TIME
 
I'll leave the Fisher question to someone more in-the-know on those (as I'm not a Fisher user), but just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

What type of machine did you start with in 1968, and what kinds of places did you hunt then? What type finds were you making back then? How deep did your first machine go on a coin-sized target?
 
I've had my CZ-20 for nearly that long. It still works fine and I've had no reason to replace it. In fact, between the time I sold my last land machine (around 2005, I think) and last month, it was my only MD and it worked just fine on land as a tone-only MD for the few times I used it. I recently bought an AT-Pro so now my CZ-20 has been relegated to back-up/loaner/salt-water-only duty. Still works great, though, and completely dependable, especially in salt water. I haven't been tempted to have it upgraded because I can't see where the improvement might be.

You didn't say what kinds of problems you've had. If none, why spend the money? If you're not unhappy but just want a new MD (as I was), then consider a good TID machine and keep your CZ-20 for a back-up. If you have to have a salt water MD, there are newer ones to consider instead of spending that $1,400.

I'm pretty new to the forum but let me welcome you anyway.

Chuck
 
got the up grade done - better than ever
also bought 2 more CZ21's - I like having a back up and an
extra for friends to use
get the re fit - you wont regret it - and if youre not happy
you can always get good money for the unit if you want to re sell

good luck
 
The waterproof Fishers have a weak spot. After a lot of use hipmounting, the coil wires fatigue at the strain relief on the control box. If the coil wires give out at the strain relief, the machine is kaput. You can fix this yourself if you have a bit of nerve. I must say 279 bucks is a lot of cabbage, but it would be money well spent to get a cz20 fixed. See my post Advanced cz20 Surgery and Stuff, two or three pages down, this shows how to repair the coil cord. You might want to tackle the job yourself to save a wad of cash. Or hire an electronics repair man to do it. I have had a cz20 since 93 and I have done about four or five coil cord repairs myself. I must say that your machine is worth every bit of close to 300 smackers to get a factory fix. You could probably get double that or more if you chose to sell it later on.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom