DANGERS IN CAVES

Ecominer

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III; Garrett Master Hunter;2009 Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Quantro Discovery Land Tone Magetometer 1A;
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: DANGERS IN CAVES

Most of the time when I find a cave it is not next to the road or where I park my car. If I find one within an hour of the vehicle I feel like it is a lucky day! People who have made some good suggestions have obviously not backpacked into an area with proper survival gear in their backpack or they wouldn't make suggestions of carrying something extra that weighs 5, 10, 15, or 20 pounds. I think a long time about any extra equipment I have to carry and I don't do it lightly (PLAY ON WORDS).

If you've ever been in a smoke filled room, get down on the floor and you will find there is about a foot of breathing air space. Obviously smoke bombs would probably have minimal effect unless it was a heavier than air type of smoke, sulphur for example. The only problem with sulphur is that it is yellow and would cover any markings on the wall.

Gasoline or any liquid is heavy and then you have to carry a container, and equipment to use it from a distance if you don't want to get struck by a snake, but then you have the methane problem that might blow you away in the process.

You could throw in a bottle of bleach and Clorox that will create a poisonous gas, but then again how long are you going to wait for the air to clear.

There were many good answers if your cave was near town, the parking lot, or home, but you also need to figure out the easiest method to get in, look around, and get out safely.

For $40 bucks you can buy a set of Kevlar snake chaps, yes, the kind that go all the way up to your butt. They weigh about two pounds, are antipollution, don't kill anything, and a snake can't bite through them. If you use a walking stick, like I do, I bounce it around hitting rocks when I can, and give snakes time to get away. If you are in confined quarters you can walk by a snake, and even if he bites, you won't get hurt. I have never heard of a snake biting anyone lower than the ankle, and the chaps can be lowered on your legs to boot sole height.

If you use this method you can walk in, search, and come out in whatever time frame you want. You don't have to wait hours, days, or months for the air to clear. If you go in during the winter, snakes move slower, and are not near as aggressive as in summer.

Snakes will hang out near the entrance of a cave during the summer and generally will not penetrate deeply (not saying that they won't). Be very careful when you first enter a cave because they are just staying cool until it cools off outside, and then they go hunting. That's why it is dangerous to be out hiking at night, because they are out looking for a meal.

Just out of curiosity when was the last time anyone saw a horse hair rope or knows anyone that knows how to make one for cheap (or a grass rope)?

If you're car camping you can sprinkle lime around your camp site and you will find that snakes will not cross it, but it needs to be wider than your finger to do it. Frankly, I've never found enough ashes to carry around (it contains lime), but lime is cheap.

Many of those other methods works above, but I don't like to work hard by carrying heavy loads, or carry expensive electronic equipment that is bulky in my backpack unless it is consumable and I don't have to carry it back out.

As the old saying goes " keep it simple and safe".

Ecominer

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ecominer....everything what you have cited is true....I have a 1.1 mile hike out to the mining claim, and it is a pretty rugged hike! I was mentioning to my partner the last time we went out to his claim that commodities are very necessary, albeit, we have to watch out for the weight factor....I further mentioned that now I know why commodities were so expensive! I am a 60 year young man in good shape and health, and my partner is 55....he has a few health issues, but he manages okay on the hike to the mining claim....I do not kill anything because of my personal beliefs, and it would have to be a dire circumstance to ever take an animals life without just cause...."just cause" would be a matter of life and death, and a dire survival situation....I really enjoy what you write, and I LQQK forward to reading more.....moreover, I believe in what you have to offer in terms of wisdom.....stay well my friend....SushiDog

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You may want to use those bombs you set into rooms to get rid of roaches. Be careful and good luck. Have at lease one person stay outside the cave.

zenman

Jul 15, 2010
Palm Beach County Florida
Detector(s) used
IconData unit

Aquapulse AQ1B, TM-808 W/ Cave. Garrett Infinium LS, JW Fisher Pulse 8x, JW Fisher Diver Mag 1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SCIINDUS said:
HELLO ALL, I NEED SOME ADVICE. I HAVE FOUND A CAVE WHICH I HAVE BEEN ABOUT 10 FT AND IT HAS ANOTHER CAVE OFF TO THE RIGHT. THE CAVE IS ABOUT 8FT TALL.SOME WRITING ON THE WALLS, DIDNT STAY LONG FULL OF RATTLESNAKES. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO GET RID OF THE SNAKE SO I CAN SEARCH IT.
THANKS

A liitle mixture og diesel and gasoline alwways works !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread