DANGERS IN CAVES

Re: DANGERS IN CAVES

Road flares will burn anywhere that is a fact. even under water.
But they also make some very noxious fumes. arasol sulfur is really hard on the lungs.
Especially if you breathe it for very long.

OD

I would be more worried about a cave in. ==Jim==

Clorox in a garden sprayer works very well. However, this will take several applications over time as you increase depth to distribute, unless you have supplemental oxygen to breathe during the process. The fumes will vent, but the dried residue will remain and make it undesireable for all ground dwellers that approach the sprayed surfaces for a long time. Wear the snake guards no matter what. Using anything flammable like gas or any flame producing device is a bad choice when considering the question of other substances present and preserving the clues that may exist.

very good advice,
My partner and I have experienced several markers that had intricate set up of small twigs set up as pointers inside them that were not exposed to elements. these are definitly things to considder when doing the cave or anything similar.

OD

???
You people can't be for real....
You spray a gallon or so of gas into the cave and any snakes in the vacinity will exit (unharmed for all you "tree-huggers").
You wait a while for the fumes to evaporate & the snakes to leave then you can enter without armor or a "professional snake handler".
The gasoline does no damage what-so-ever to the cave & any vegetation that it may temporarily kill will only come back hardier.
Please don't be an idiot and think a rattler can't strike when it's cold or you can just slip right by them in the winter months, obviously these people who recommended this have had no experience with rattlers.
Go in and find something great!!

The Hammer

Snakes will be in caves during these winter months. Wait until summer when they will leave by themselves.
However I've found that using a weed spayer and some gasoline sprayed into the cave is enough to drive them out. DON'T ignite the gas !
The fumes are enough to make them leave but don't do it in the dead of the cold weather, these snakes are a part of the fauna and in their place would fill with vermin without them being there.

I'm not one of the "Only good snake is a dead snake" bunch, time is on your side if you can wait a bit.

Aufinder01

I realize this is an old thread, but it's amazing the disregard some folks have for the enviroment. Inside a cave is a haven for snakes, bats, small rodents, small animals like skunks, raccoons, lizards, opossums, etc. , big animals like bears and cats. Depending on which species lives in your state.
Snake Away DOES NOT WORK. (Same ingedients as mothballs)
Mothballs DO NOT WORK.
Gas, Kerosene, bleach is just stupid. It may repel the animals for a short time, but could have a long term effect on the flora/fauna living there. Not to mention the fumes, explosive vapors, etc. could be hazardous to your health and anyone that follows later on.
Flares?? How 'bout we leave the area as we find it, so the next guy to find the cave doesn't bare witness to previous spelunkers.
Caves have a very sensitive enviroment due to lack of sunlight, sometimes very little or very much moisture, air currents, etc. Don't ruin an enviroment for future life that may want to live there when you're done cache hunting.

;D I'd have to say that being the post is 2years old and the guy never replied back that no body's ideals worked and the snakes got him.

SCIINDUS said:
HELLO ALL, I NEED SOME ADVICE. I HAVE FOUND A CAVE WHICH I HAVE BEEN ABOUT 10 FT AND IT HAS ANOTHER CAVE OFF TO THE RIGHT. THE CAVE IS ABOUT 8FT TALL.SOME WRITING ON THE WALLS, DIDNT STAY LONG FULL OF RATTLESNAKES. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO GET RID OF THE SNAKE SO I CAN SEARCH IT.
THANKS

Than the treasure should not be far away. Some people say that snakes are protecting the treasures. Maybe it's just a rumor or superstition. Good luck!

Definitely use the hand pump type sprayer....about a one gallon size should be sufficient....but I would recommend using Diesel Fuel instead of Gasoline.

Spray inside the cave the get out of the way...the snakes should come tearing out of there pretty fast. From what I understand, that's what the professional snake hunters use.

Good luck and keep us posted! ;D

If Sciindus posted the message on November 24, 2005 maybe he can tell us what he did. At least I have seen that he was at the forum this month ;D, so he probably found a safe way to enter.

Hey All,
There really is only one answer. Invite a bunch of people over near the cave and cook hot sausage, hot wings, chili or anything with some Tapitio or Cholula hot sauce. Let age in evryone's belly. Serve HUGE portions of the " most potent " alcohol and when people have to " go " tell them to do it in the cave. After everyone gets bit and dies. Then wait til morning and expose all the snakes to sunlight ( flood light will do ) and watch them all go pop ! ;D ;D ;D ;D
PLL

Well I like these old threads!

I read the ones that have gotten a lot of activity, regardless of when they began...

It took a while to find out there was probably not a dead guy in a cave with a bunch of snakes!

Funny how these guys never come back after there is a free-for-all on their post! ;D

...BBQ'd crispy critters, flares, horsey ropes and ARMOR! LoL

A snake catchin' stick works fine, unless you got a whole LOT of 'em... and Mojave greens WILL chase!

Use the buddy system in caves, and tell someone exactly where you are going, and when you will return!

HH
rmptr

HIO Peeps: was just reviewing to see if any new suggestions were posted and noticed a disturbing one from Gullyman. He posted --->

I guess maybe that depends on how big the treasure is, and how I feel about my partner at the time.
~~~~~~~~~~~

And here I was about to invite him on a treasure hunt sheesh !!!!!

I guess that he comes by his piratical tendencies naturally, being a Car salseman (snicker)

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. will me that nice white Range Rover if you get stuck in that old workings.

Hey, be carefull, you know that pull tabs were invented in 1963 and first appeared on cans in 1964 I believe.
That makes the pull tab technically 45 years old! The next thing you know they will be considered 'relics'
"uh, I am searching for UFO evidence, yeah, that's it!" :wink:

Real de Tayopa said:
HIO Peeps: was just reviewing to see if any new suggestions were posted and noticed a disturbing one from Gullyman. He posted --->

I guess maybe that depends on how big the treasure is, and how I feel about my partner at the time.
~~~~~~~~~~~

And here I was about to invite him on a treasure hunt sheesh !!!!!

I guess that he comes by his piratical tendencies naturally, being a Car salseman (snicker)

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. will me that nice white Range Rover if you get stuck in that old workings.

Hey Tayopa does that fall in line with the old SCUBA diving rules?

SCUBA = Second Class Unencumbered Belching Aid
Always buy a ladies wet suit = A place to keep a couple pf abalone
1st rule always dive with a buddy, Why? If sharks are spotted stab your buddy & swim like hell

oh well do it the easy way. get a paper grocery sack... roll it from one side until it makes a cone shape. stand outside the cave..... yell into the cone.. here snake here snake........... may not work but sounds better then some things i read roflmao :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back