What's new

Dating A Bullet

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
512
Golden Thread
0
Location
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in the finds forum, but think I need to post here for the bullet experts. What do you think the date is on this bullet? The patina tells me it's older.

thanks for any help!
 

Attachments

  • IMG00278-20120207-0211.webp
    IMG00278-20120207-0211.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG00279-20120207-0211.webp
    IMG00279-20120207-0211.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG00280-20120207-0212.webp
    IMG00280-20120207-0212.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG00278-20120207-0211.webp
    IMG00278-20120207-0211.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG00279-20120207-0211.webp
    IMG00279-20120207-0211.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG00280-20120207-0212.webp
    IMG00280-20120207-0212.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 322
I'm not one of the bullet experts, but with the vertical lines, it says modern to me. It has a nice patina, but I still think it's a modern bullet. Neat find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
thanx breezie...yeah, i think they're cool looking.
 
Upvote 0
Breezie is right. The crimp marks in the groves tell you it is post civilwar as they did not use that method of loading until later. Patina can form on lead in a relatively short period of time if conditions are right.
 
Upvote 0
Agreed. The knurled lube grooves are 20th century and later.
 
Upvote 0
..looks like .22 Cal too
 
Upvote 0
great - thanks for chiming in everyone!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom