Deep Cache Hunting Detector?

Steven77

Greenie
Nov 20, 2006
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Discovery TF-900 / Pulse AR lll
I have been researching a buried loot cache for 3 years now and I believe I've narrowed it down to a specific area. What I need now is a good deep penetrating detector that will have no problem finding gold bars or coins at around 5 feet down

I've looked at the Whites TM-808 and the Discovery TF-900 and they both seem to be pretty much what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Were not talking about ham sandwiches here! Were talking about alot of money for these detectors and I want to make sure I make a good choice for my needs.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

T

TheDetectorist

For the depths you are talking about, the TM-808 would probably be best. That doesn't mean it will find it, but it will have the best chance. 5 feet is pretty dang deep. It's detection depth would depend on the type of metal, and surface area presented.

TD

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=TheDetectorist For the depths you are talking about, the TM-808 would probably be best. That doesn't mean it will find it, but it will have the best chance. 5 feet is pretty dang deep. It's detection depth would depend on the type of metal, and surface area presented.td
Right on in all details TD, you know your business

Tropical Tramp.

Zobex

Jun 27, 2006
ole.Grubstake said:
I vote Whites TM-808. I have the new one coming myself in a couple of weeks. They are in the midst or modifying the TM-808. I am also after a buried treasure and have decided on this model.
Ole Grubstake

Some 6 years ago I purchased a new TM-808, we never found what we were looking for but I can say this. We were working up a wet creek bed and found a hit. Dug near 7 feet and found a stinking iron rod some 1 inch in diameter and some 6 feet long. Well rusted in place and it was damp so I guess that explains it. It was awfully deep.

Turns out it was a collapsed mine entrance and that is how the bar got there.

Zobex

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Steven77 said:
I've looked at the Whites TM-808 and the Discovery TF-900 and they both seem to be pretty much what I'm looking for.

It doesn't matter which one you get. Discovery made both of them.

M

Mike(Mont)

After your two-box fails you go buy a pulse-induction unit. There's one available for $700 with a one-meter square coil. The moderator doesn't want me to post where you can get one because the guy also sells LRL's and for some reason no one is allowed to discuss them, he deleted my post. You can send me a PM if you are interested.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the effective depth of the two box models to be little more than four feet. A high power pulse such as the Pulse Star or a Lorenz (German) or Notsi (Bulgarian) can treble the depth and offer a degree of discrimination if required.
Trouble is you never know what sort of container was used. I've had no container (or its rotted to nothing), clay pots and steel boxes.

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for the TF-900, yes it is true that discovery made the Whites TM 800, however not the TM808, which I find weaker than my old TM 800. I will sell my TM 808 and buy the TF 900. Now someone mentioned "changes to be made in the TM 808" , I did inform Whites many years ago that their new unit was inferior in performance to the older unit, so I hope they do make improvements.

I do not have any experience with PI units.

Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread