Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone found a good way to tell depth on the equinox with sound tones? The visual display is not always accurate for depth. I’m not hearing faint tones on deep targets in my 5 Tone program- running 25 on 5th Tone volume and pitch- set the 5th Tone from 19-40 and uses recovery speed 7 iron bias 1 and multi-frequency. I’m running a trashy park custom program from Park 2 preset.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use 5 tone and the deep targets have a slightly quieter/softer volume, though I feel ML could improve on this modulation. It isn't nearly as obvious as the modulation of other detectors. For the deep stuff, if you raise your coil a couple inches and lose the signal, it is deep. The 9" pennies and dimes I have dug have all acted this way. They also had a much tighter swing response compared to shallower coins. Also, on all those 9" coins, the depth meter was pegged at full bars. Hope that helps a bit. The more hours you get on the machine, the easier it will be to tell the deep stuff. The bars on the depth meter do mean something, though the "2 inches per bar" is not reliable at all, IMO. For the stuff I'm digging, its more like 1 inch per bar up until you hit 4 bars, then stuff starts getting deep. YMMV.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use 5 tone and the deep targets have a slightly quieter/softer volume, though I feel ML could improve on this modulation. It isn't nearly as obvious as the modulation of other detectors. For the deep stuff, if you raise your coil a couple inches and lose the signal, it is deep. The 9" pennies and dimes I have dug have all acted this way. They also had a much tighter swing response compared to shallower coins. Also, on all those 9" coins, the depth meter was pegged at full bars. Hope that helps a bit. The more hours you get on the machine, the easier it will be to tell the deep stuff. The bars on the depth meter do mean something, though the "2 inches per bar" is not reliable at all, IMO. For the stuff I'm digging, its more like 1 inch per bar up until you hit 4 bars, then stuff starts getting deep. YMMV.

I have been told that the tone on deep targets can be more or less noticeable with adjusting the volume gain. Not sure about it yet? Will have to play with it.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pin point tone is quite different on deep targets vs shallow targets. I use that to help judge depth. I have been seeing pretty accurate depth on deep coins also. Depth meter has been pegged on all my deeper 8inch + coins.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pin point tone is quite different on deep targets vs shallow targets. I use that to help judge depth. I have been seeing pretty accurate depth on deep coins also. Depth meter has been pegged on all my deeper 8inch + coins.

With my NOX the pin point is even more powerful than he regular detecting programs and targets sound even shallower. I have only been able to hear and dig target around 10” max in the field thus far. The 8” to 10” targets sound the same as 6” targets with my pin point. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my NOX the pin point is even more powerful than he regular detecting programs and targets sound even shallower. I have only been able to hear and dig target around 10” max in the field thus far. The 8” to 10” targets sound the same as 6” targets with my pin point. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

For what it's worth, it seems to be like that with the Safari. The pin point on the Safari is the best I've ever used, and it sounds like the EQ might be the same. On a faint/iffy target, the pinpoint brings it in loud and clear, that's on the Safari, I have an EQ on order, and if it is the same, I'll like it.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
With the CTX, I use the wiggle back method to the crotch of the top end of the coil to pin point, and it's very accurate.

Would the same method apply to the NOX ???

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the CTX, I use the wiggle back method to the crotch of the top end of the coil to pin point, and it's very accurate.

Would the same method apply to the NOX ???

Yes...

But pinpoint on the Equinox works amazingly well. I never used pinpoint until I tried it with my 800. I love the "auto detune" that it does as you zero in. I still only use it when I'm having trouble getting something small into my scoop.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a little strange I am not sure if others are having same experience?? My 800 definitely sounds lower tone and softer when targets are deeper in pin point mode. It is very loud and higher pitched when they are shallow. I will say trash around the target but more shallow can be picked up when trying to pin point causing it to sound shallow. I have witnessed that in the trashy park. Sometimes I use the wiggle method when there is trash near by to better locate the good target among the trash.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a little strange I am not sure if others are having same experience?? My 800 definitely sounds lower tone and softer when targets are deeper in pin point mode. It is very loud and higher pitched when they are shallow. I will say trash around the target but more shallow can be picked up when trying to pin point causing it to sound shallow. I have witnessed that in the trashy park. Sometimes I use the wiggle method when there is trash near by to better locate the good target among the trash.

Interesting. What is the wiggle method?

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
modulation could be improved but for what I do it doesn't matter I just need to hear it. So the answer to your question is no. Some targets do give fainter tones at depth but I cant tell a difference btween a 3 inch coin and a 8 inch coin..

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
modulation could be improved but for what I do it doesn't matter I just need to hear it. So the answer to your question is no. Some targets do give fainter tones at depth but I cant tell a difference btween a 3 inch coin and a 8 inch coin..

Ok, so I’m not the only one. I like to hunt it all relic, park and beach. I recently took the nox to a trashy Chicago public park and was having difficulty picking out the deep targets. My strategy was to dig the deep coins which are typically the older coins. I ended up digging a lot of shallow coins that showed very deep on the vdi. Still had fun and dug some good targets. Yesterday had the nox on my trashy old homestead site near downtown Savannah, GA and dug a bunch of false signals. This site has tons of iron and aluminum which is difficult for any machine. I am tweeking the fe bias to see what works best for depth at this site.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Faint deep tones only encourage you to ignore them. Personally I want all tones loud regardless of depth.

If you want to reduce depth just turn down sensitivity!

In Bharping's case where he wants to dig ONLY deep coins, well that's a bit more challenging and I don't have anything useful to suggest.

I'd like to see a "boost mode" or "depth bias" on the Equinox... to adjust the volume variation of deep targets.. Then you could make deep targets faint, or you could make deep targets just as loud as shallow targets.

Last edited:

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did your 9" pennies have a bouncy tones and VDI?

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did your 9" pennies have a bouncy tones and VDI?

A little bit - The deep IHPs were giving a broader/lower VID of 21-25, favoring 24, whereas they are normally a solid 24/25 shallower. I've noticed that the VIDs can drop on deep coins. It's another clue that you probably have a deep coin. I've also noticed that if you have a deep target that bounces from, say the tens or twenties, then suddenly jumps to 39, it is falsing on deep iron. Others have reported this same phenomena with targets that jump to 39. I've been running bias on 0 or 1 lately, so I am more prone to falsing.

detectorben

Feb 19, 2017
Nebraska
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. What is the wiggle method?
By wiggle method I mean centering coil over target where signal is best. Then wiggle coil back and forth while also moving it towards me until signal drops off then I know the target is at the front center edge of my coil. I use this method when trash is all around and I'm having trouble pin pointing. I will say the nox locks on to signals and pin points pretty well if you hit pin point when the desired signal and TID are showing on screen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread