- #1
Thread Owner
Depth is a parameter most detectorist always ask. It is their assurance wether their detector will be able to meet the expected requirements in the field. Is there a way in improving detectors depth capability? 


The problem is, you'll hear every staple, push-pin, birdshot, nail, etc..... You'd go crazy in most all land sites not having at least iron disc.
I took my White's Surfmaster to Bonaire a few years ago. I was walking the beach and got a hit. It was wet sand. The target kept reading as I dug deeper and deeper. At elbow depth, about 18 or 20 inches I found a single mercury dime. It was badly corroded and the date was not even visible. Later I got several hits while diving in about 70 feet of water that I had to give up on because I was limited in bottom time. Sometimes shallower is better. 

were will it end
there will always be finds beyond our depth, be gratefull for what you get To true Brian...but how far down in those hills are the lost finds buried, way beyond nearly all detectors.U.K. Brian said:That sounds like the mantra of those who work ploughed ground and pick the finds from near the surface. Much of the U.K. is hills/mountains and rarely if ever see's a plough.
Depth is all, with discrimination a secondary consideration. The plus side of no ploughing = no plough damage.

