Detecting Places Has anyone had any success on Old Roads

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a old one in my backyard (thinking civil war vintage) .....And no finds so far,maybe this winter :)

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old road are great spots to hunt. I usually look for nice flat areas right off the road, underneath big trees is a good start. These are the kind of spots travelers might stop for a rest or for a picnic lunch. We have a lot of old stagecoach trails nearby me, and some of my best finds have come from them. Putting yourself in the mindset of a traveler might lead to to some good spots.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Directly in back of the old oak on the right is the road (running left to right) .If only that oak could speak:) 007.JPG
And why the quarts piled up around the tree on the left ???

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never detected an old road but obviously it has worked for some people... for example vpone's last banner (the $10 Gold piece) and I think Joe-Dirt once mentioned finding some Barbers on an old road.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! On the old roadbeds the stuff is normally so deep you can't find anything. However, that said, on the sides of the road - there be treasure there!

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience is just this, first I’m only a hour or so from you in Pennsylvania. We study the earliest county maps possible, example 1860 here, being that said it’s very teteus but you must try to find the old horse and buggy roads if possible, I promise you will find coins, and much more, we just discovered the old wagon road in r park of 100 years old, and I no for a fact those 1960 detectorist either didn’t no or missed much. So yes you must cover left , right up and down. We are currently detecting the dam because the water is unbelievable it’s way down, guess what, large cents, silver and yes junk but I have no reason to fabricate. U see most people can’t or won’t go to these lengths why don’t no , but have discovered virgin territory and hope for much more, if u want get back I’m just a hour or so away, hope you enjoyed my story of truth
Oh as spoken above some is to deep to detect just because regardless of price of machine it’s gone. But remember this hobby is for patience, tones don’t always tell you what you think, just dig the target, nothing to lose everything to gain

Last edited:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i think cross roads are a good place, its a good place for people to meet,i also look on google earth for any clearing along roads.
good luck brad

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detect back 25 to 50 feet from old roads and trails. That's where people went to relieve themselves or to have a quickie with their girlfriend. Lots of coin spills back there!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love roads and trails!
All the above advice is great!
Rocky sections of roads are a good spot, there is where break-downs
happen, or harnesses break...!
Be patient, and walk a lot of miles - you'll find treasure...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread