DFX for older deeper finds?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally it doesn't give a accurate reading under the icon. However a lot depends on the amount of ground minerals, gain adjustment, color of your socks. Some guys can tell by the sound, even the faint ones what the target is. I can't. I found most detectors will report on a coin lots deeper than the screen will report. This is why many don't rely on the screen and just learn the sounds the expensive detectors are able to give over the lower priced ones.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Thanks Sandman. Would the sound be the same for a dime deep as it would be a couple inches in the ground? Thanks.

Keep other opinions and experiences coming. I think this can be an interesting topic.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
The dfx has a setting in the "Audio" options called "Modulation" . If you turn this option off, it will sound off the same wether the dime is 1 inch, or 12 inches.

Paul

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I was out and dug a deep (about 7-8") wheatie today that was sounding off but it was a little broken up.  I did a full 360 degree turn around the target and was getting the same reading and sound.  It was bouncing all over the screen on my SE (Between 58-75 VDI on the DFX).  Since I had a good, but a little broken up, but good sound, I dug and got a 1920 wheatie on edge.

Both Merc's I have dug in the last couple days came from about 8" and sounded off great, but faint.  Just slow down the sweep speed and recheck any targets that give of a good sound.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Thanks Paul, I have not tried any custom adjustments, so I will look into that.
Storm, thanks for your input and congrats on your coins. I will try and play around a little with the sounds when I get a faint signal. I tend to swing somewhat fast and need to concentrate more on slowing down.

Thanks again.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I have the same problem. Can some of you that have used the DFX for a long time. Help explain what a "faint signal" is? I know what it means but in practical terms how does it "come across" on the machine. I get some signals that don't give me an icon or a VDI number but they aren't necessarily faint. Does a faint signal give a VDI number? Bars on the Signagraph? I just don't get many repeatable faint signals. Are my earphones Crap?? Can you help with a description of a faint signal? What should I be doing?

Thanks,

Daryl

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Sandman said:
Generally it doesn't give a accurate reading under the icon. However a lot depends on the amount of ground minerals, gain adjustment, color of your socks. Some guys can tell by the sound, even the faint ones what the target is. I can't. I found most detectors will report on a coin lots deeper than the screen will report. This is why many don't rely on the screen and just learn the sounds the expensive detectors are able to give over the lower priced ones.
I have found this to be generally true until I got the F-75. In the first 5 inches it is a crap shoot on depth but from there it is dead on. If it says 9 inches it is 9 inches and so on. I recently got a hit that said quarter @ 12. The ground was like cement but I kept chipping away and finally at a measured 12 inches out popped a Barber quarter with the indention still left in the bottom of the hole. ^ inches and deeper it is right on the money

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Mine is a Eagle Spectrum, not a DFX, but pretty much works the same. The deep targets that read different vdi numbers, but still read as coins should be checked. Many times the machine cannot give a consistant reading due to the depth or coin on edge, but if it continues to read coin regardless of vdi, dig it, it usually will be a coin. I once dug a buffalo that read quarter, then dime, then back and forth. It was about 7-8 inches deep. Never saw that buffalo comming. Try it.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I agree with renegade_7 , if it shows in the coin range, dig it. Also if there is no VID number but the bar graft is at the far right, dig it.

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
I really need to get a DFX...I get signals with my prizm that it swears up and down is a quarter at 4" but when I switch to all metal mode to try and pinpoint it screams at me. This I have learned means it is really just a piece of garbage...the fainter sounds are usually the coin. Seems like the DFX gives you more information to play with when ID'ing a target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread