DFX, XLT, or MXT

Just_Sean

Greenie
Sep 26, 2006
Troy, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher
I am getting ready to buy a new detector and need some advice on which model to buy. I have been detecting for many years but don't consider myself a pro. I hunt strickly for older coins and I'm looking for a detector with pretty good depth. Woluld a MXT suit my needs or would I be better off spending the extra money for an XLT or DFX?

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The MXT is a very versatile detector and you won't be sorry you bought one. For overall coinhunting the DFX is still better in my opinion. I use one as my primary detector because I love how it performs. If you can go for it

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can, always go for the DFX. You will never be sorry. Better to have the top of the line than wonder what your missing...........LOL

Sandman

Junk Monkey

Greenie
Dec 10, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, Whites DFX and Fisher F75.
The DFX is not for the beginner, unless you are willing to spend the time learning the detector. The turn-on-and-go settings will get you in the ball park, but to really get the most out of the machine, you need to dedicate time that is both rewarding and frustrating. The reward WILL come. The frustration will be in the vast amount of information to digest. Is it worth it? You bet.

lobo

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Whites MXT
Would the DFX also be good for nugget hunting? I am also thinking about the MTX but I will be mostly looking for coins and jewelry and nuggets very occasionally?

Jerry

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
You can use it for that but the MXT is the better allaround detector if nugget shooting is involved. I have talked to several people out west who now use MXT's with the nugget coil and 6 x 9" and are getting great results.
TonyinCt

RonNewbie

Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, MXT
Contrary to one of the earlier posts, the DFX is my first detector and I've found it to be pretty easy to use right out of the box. Learning to modify the programs is more of a challenge since you need to learn the "why" before you can understand the changes. Short of that, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the DFX, even for the beginner.

iamduesouth

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2007
key west,florida
Detector(s) used
whites--- idx pro,classic id, m-6,surf id
:)my 2 cents worth....all machines in question are good in their own ways...i started with a whites idx pro and still use it weekly...i have hunted side by side with all 3 machines....i have owned 5 machines (idx pro, classic id, classic 3, mxt, surf pi, and a bounty hunter) several close friends have the 3 in question, my advice is the whites m6, i just ordered it and will get it tomorrow, the m6 gets high marks on all or most of postings....whichever you get...good luck....!! iamduesouth.....

D

DixieDirtDigger

Ive got nothing but love for my MXT,I thought if there was anything else that Whites built as good Id buy it,I took a wad of money to the Detector store,played with the XLT and the DFX and decided that all the programs and pushing this n that was confusing so I bought another MXT so now I have two and wouldnt have it any other way,and the money I saved was great also,ground balancing is very easy and im off hunting (turn on pump the coil on the ground a few times and go) No custom settings or programs to get lost in,turn the knobs and go,if you need to adjust something turn the knob that applies, no programs to scroll thru for adjustments.Im sure the others are great machines but Ive learned the MXT and its for me.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
If you just coin hunt and maybe occasionally look for jewelry, you might look at the M6.

I got mine in middle of Jan. and I am very impressed.
This past Friday I went to a small park and got 2 silver Merc dimes, a silver Rosy dime and some newer pennies.

All within an hour. This park has seen lots of detectors and has been "hunted out".
All the reviews I have seen from other posts from this forum and White's Tnet forum made me get one.I am very satisfied and happy with mine.

Dimeman

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
If coins and relics are what you are after the MXT will get the job done as good maybe better than the DFX in some situations. I hunt with two guys that use the MXT all the time I use the DFX and A nautulis most of the time. If you plan on hunting the beach the DFX is the only way to go in the salt. Hope this helps.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I, living no where near saltwater, would the MXT be the best all around machine for coins, relics and gold or would you suggest the DFX. I personally don't want a detector that is complicated. Its not that I couldn't learn how the system works, its just that I'm not sure I want to invest that kind of time (i.e. frustration and the learning curve). I have also heard great things about the M6. (just thinking about this stuff hurts my head :o)

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the M6, but it seems to be a tamed down MXT. If you are going to hunt gold you need that extra sensitivity the MXT has over the M6. They are both 14 kHz. I have hunted with other people who use the MXT for gold hunting they do pretty well. I have to use a piece of their found gold to zero in my DFX, but the DFX will hit on gold. I suggest you get one of Jeff Fosters books if you purchase either the MXT of DFX. Tons of info you need to know for general detecting as well as machine specific.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
If you want to use your detector to find gold as well as coins and relics then get the MXT . It is becoming the choice of many prospectors. Add on the 6x9" DD coil and it's a killer gold finder. I sell them at discount and give a free copy of the new Jeff Foster book MXT EDGE with each one. Let me know if I can hook you up.
Tony :)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the same boat.... What do I do...???

Do we get the XLT or MXT?

Keep @ it and HH!!

cyeager

Feb 20, 2007
My vote=
MXT - Simple, You can get up to speed quick. Good "everywhere" -- except underwater.... (Works everywhere else.) Easy to setup and go/...

DFX is a bit complex for the money. Menu hopping gets old fast. Really....
Nice programming... But not great for change up ID information... Yet the DFX does simplify and speed up ID'ing when set right.
Depth is the same with DD coils... (You must get the 6x10 either way eh?)
Batteries last longer in the MXT. No backlight.
MXT a tad better for prospecting gold due to faster ground tracking. It's based on the GMT.
OK on sand.. (Note no major diff between DFX/MXT)

So for my self.... The MXT.. Works great... I've gotten many pounds of clad tumbled and recirculated......
I pick really bizzare places..... 20.00 an hour... sick-o-clad... Ducks in a pond with Dynamite....
But I get goodies too.... 10" for a quarter is easy. -=Cy

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TonyinCT said:
If you want to use your detector to find gold as well as coins and relics then get the MXT . It is becoming the choice of many prospectors. Add on the 6x9" DD coil and it's a killer gold finder. I sell them at discount and give a free copy of the new Jeff Foster book MXT EDGE with each one. Let me know if I can hook you up.
Tony :)

Tony, I dont hunt gold, mainly coins, and jewelry, but like the way the MXT looks, and feels....How is it for coin hunting??? Also can you just turn on, and go, or do you have to ground balance everytime?? Thanks, Tom

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
I still hunt with a Silver Eagle. Haven't hunted with these. One difference that no one has mentioned is that the DFX is Dual Frequency. Adds a lot of stability to a detector and I would think, perhaps a little depth as well. I would love to have the DFX and may search for a good used one in the future. Good luck with what ever you get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread