cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather report said rain on Saturday so I put off making my route list till 8:30 Friday night. Only found about 20 that listed on Saturday that I wanted to go to. They saw the same weather report as I did and still listed. It lightly rained Friday night so I just got up when I felt like it 6:30 is late for me The street was mostly dry so I decided to try my route and if most were not open I would just come home. Out of 20 only one was a no show. So I actually hit every address on my list and followed signs to 4-5 homes.

Early on I found a Samsonite train case and knew it would sell. I asked the price and the lady only wanted $2 but being I am thrifty asked if a dollar would be OK. She took it. It was her sale and she set it out so I accepted it with everything inside. It has 20-30 or more bottles of esential oils. These are what soap/toiletry makers use to add smell to their products. (used to do that 10-15 years ago) I am sure these will sell for more than the case.

Later I came upon this sale. Just an ordinary mother daughter one. The lady had a big handfull of round bracelets (maybe 30) strung together to sell as one lot. They all looked like silver, but I looked close (magnifying glass) and saw most were just nickel. Only one interested me so I paid the $5 she was asking. After I got home I tested all and they were all just costume except the one I wanted. That one was 2 ounces of silver with a button to open it that tested 18K gold. The button is the size of a BIG green pea.

Close to the end of my morning this garage sale was a two day sale so I didn't expect to find anything but I stopped anyway. Just a lot of picked over stuff and a tarnished bowl that looked interesting. I also saw two cell phones and since I recycle them I put them and the chargers in the bowl and asked the lady if she would take $2 for everything. She said no, the phones are worth $5 each. So, I put the phones back and then asked if I could have the bowl for $1, that she took. I was a happy camper. The bowl turned out to be more than 5 ounces of silver with a melt value of around $165. I did some research on the bowl and called a lady that has a booth in a local antique store. I told her it was made in Istanbul, Turkey and before I could say anything else she said that in 20 minutes she is going to take her husband to the airport, he is going to Istanbul. She was also very interested in buying it for her store. So on Sunday I brought that and several other things she might like to her store. She gladly paid my asking price of $200 on the bowl and she bought several other things too.

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Philmont_709n2 said:
NICE! was the bowl marked sterling or was it a hunch?

Well???? Still waiting???
Where do you sell the rest of the stuff? Flea markets? Consignment Shops?
P.S.
Nice finds!!!

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Philmont_709n2 said:
NICE! was the bowl marked sterling or was it a hunch?
All it said URART 925 in the smallest type I have ever seen. I always have my loupe with me.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reverend B*IKE* said:
Where do you sell the rest of the stuff? Flea markets? Consignment Shops?
I got called something last year by a little old lady in an antique store. Even though it is a 6 letter word she said it as if it was a 4 letter word!
MELTER
I take that as a complement. I am a :icon_thumright: MELTER :icon_thumleft: but if I think it has any chance of antique value I try the store I sold the bowl to or feeBay.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wow, Dan...I've seen some very good garage sale finders in my life, but you take it to a whole new level.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread