JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This could be just a me problem but so far finding my Deus XP nearly useless in parks around here. Most close to me are loaded with pull tabs and bottle caps. Coins and anything that would be good basically come up much the same as pull tabs and bottle caps. I've done decent at areas that are permissions but park for me the machine has been absolutely terrible. I know parks are generally not easy but still with say my AT Pro I could often tell a coin from a pull tab but hasn't been the case with the Deus. Perhaps I just have more to learn but if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Upvote 0

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the Orx and Deus Lite and glad I don’t do trashy parks. Have noticed that to the discerning ear there are subtle differences that can be heard - approach from different directions helps because of target shape. Could recommend practicing at home on various shape items to see change in TID with various sweep directions compared to coins and rings

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In parks, I have been using the 9inch HF coil. I prefer the deus fast mostly because most of the year (unless we get a lot of rain) the ground is like digging concrete and I do not dig much more than 4 - 6 inches. I also try to stick with the fast program because my old mind cannot adjust to the numbers changing with each frequency or program change. I'm consistent with what I do, same wife 35 years, keep cars until they need to go to the junk yard, you get the point.

I use tone breaks, 4 tones, notch out the foil range. My nickles are a solid 59-60 sound like a very low baa, bla. my quarters ring higher at a 31 and will catch your attention. if I get a number in the 70's I am more than confidant it is a pull tab, most 59-60's are nickles (not all) if it is in the high 90's = junk usually large cans sprinkler heads all of which even if they are not in the high 90's have a distinct ghostly sound. coins and jewelry on the other hand have a solid sound.
do I dig trash, yes but not as much as I did using the nox or as much as my buddies, the sounds on the nox do not (in my opinion) have a different sound, tones yes, but not sound (ghostly). If it screaches at me and I am in the desert (or parks) then it is more than likely a brass shell case or very large object.

watch luck Gin, you can tell she is about to dig trash before she puts the scoop in the sand and I do not own a notka

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I
This could be just a me problem but so far finding my Deus XP nearly useless in parks around here. Most close to me are loaded with pull tabs and bottle caps. Coins and anything that would be good basically come up much the same as pull tabs and bottle caps. I've done decent at areas that are permissions but park for me the machine has been absolutely terrible. I know parks are generally not easy but still with say my AT Pro I could often tell a coin from a pull tab but hasn't been the case with the Deus. Perhaps I just have more to learn but if anyone has any suggestions let me know.
I had the same problem on my 800. Here is what I did and I am sure you can do the same with your XP Deus because they are in the same class of modern detectors.

I discriminated everything below the coins. I increased the recovery speed. And reduced the sensitivity some. On the 800 down to about 17-18. With the faster recovery speed and discrimination all that I would basically is coins and of course some screw caps and an occasional bottle cap. But all the huge number of pull tabs, pop tops, foil was not heard. Just translate those settings into your XP Deus. I am sure it has all those capabilities and I know it has a faster recovery speed. Oh, and I am using the Coiltek 10 x 5" coil which really helps finding masked items and still 10" coverage.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
I hunt a lot. And I am in the trashy parks weekly.

The Dues is terrible in them. Yes I have used them enough to say it's not great in high trash.

In areas were there is less trash the machine does fine. Where it really shines is at old iron infested home steads. No other machine can out hunt it in the iron.

The only thing that may help is to edit out from about 75 on down. You will still dig caps etc. But won't have that machine gun effect.

Will notch out some keepers but will probably find a few too. Grab yourself a Nox 600 you'll never look back.

Jer

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several reasons I did not buy a Nox, and what I've read some people say it's heavy and hurts their shoulder. I don't like the number system at all. Don't like the 11" coil (all they had at the time). The shaft had loose problems (I think they fixed that) The Deus is a joy to swing. Audio is the best The wireless is flawless. I bought it to work heavy trash.

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had the same problem with my 800. Switch to 5Khz and that helped a lot to locate coins. On the XP2 go to mono mode and select 4.4 khz. See if that helps you. Otherwise you have no choice but to notch out pull tabs and pop tops which will help reduce your trash finds.

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
If I hunted parks, a detector with a concentric coil would be a must for better Id, which is why I keep an older White's for old house sites. If its an old site void of modern trash the ORX shines in the iron.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold my Deus, but had no problems, dug an occasional pull tab, it was easy to tell the difference between them and nickles. I had a custom program I made using the fast program, I was able to cherry pick all day long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread