Do E-bay store hurt your garage sale finds?

firecrest789

Oct 21, 2007
Rome, NY
Detector(s) used
Lone star
We have E-Bay stores popping up all over the place here in Upstate NY.
We have a consignment shop and two pawn shops that deal with e-bay in a 2 mile radius. We have one in every city and new paper advertisements to sell your old stuff on E-bay.

I am sure this has an impact on a lot of things here.
Does anyone here feel a pinch from them?

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not here in Pa...matter of fact they just introduced a law that you can't be a consigner on ebay in the state unless you serve an auctioneers apprenticeship or have college courses for it...its the only way to obtain the license

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
ebay in general has hurt yard sales and flea markets.....not only do people look the item up before selling it...... you have tons of people that buy to resell and yard sales are like day after thanksgiving sales at walmart lol....when i go to the flea market i have to get there about 4:30 AM ....way before daylight and chase trucks that are coming in and dig and poke around using a flashlight before they unload....get there early or you dont get the goods...sad but true

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The garage sale finds are few and far between anymore down here. Maybe 1 out of 30 sales or so I will find "something" that I will buy. It's mostly junk or they want an arm and a leg for it. Everyone is an "expert" nowadays. Don't know how many times i've heard someone at a sale say "those sell on Ebay for $XX.00 ". Yup, slim pickins! Can't really blame 'em though.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
diggummup said:
Don't know how many times i've heard someone at a sale say "those sell on Ebay for $XX.00 ". Yup, slim pickins! Can't really blame 'em though.
The problem is they see one up for auction for some crazy amount and think that is what it is worth. They need to look at completed auctions and see what they really sell for...if at all.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well what fries me about people having yard sales and making the comments that it sells blah blah amount on ebay... I say to em, then why didnt you list it on ebay... I get told one of two things... well I dont know how to do that or.. I dont have time. And honestly, as much as I love that antique road show.. lordy everyone thinks they have a million dollar item.. so when you find something good...your dam lucky...

OP
OP
firecrest789

firecrest789

Oct 21, 2007
Rome, NY
Detector(s) used
Lone star
Yea,

it takes more time to set up, advertise, sit there all day long, clean up for a whooping total of 25.00 dollars then to picture, upload, place on e-bay.

and if you don't know how then you don't deserve any more then the .50 I am wiling to pay for what ever you are tring to sell me.

around here was this "indoor garage sale event" So I go and look around. A lot of vendors are people who pruchase bulk items and are tring to sell them for like 29.99, or SMC rejects that want 15.99. I love the 1/3 of a toy vendor, every toy is 1/3 complete and has been bleached washed to remove the crayon.

I find some old looking books that would look good on a shelf. You know for the people who come over and they are like "hey old books, he must be pretty smart to have old books on a shelf." or "wow old books!!!"

with out my knowledge these books where first edition rarities and worth over 100 dollars each, but the seller was willing to let them go at 25.00 because they wheren't in perfect condition.

.....Time + books = old books.

I was like ok, and I left.

100.00 dollar books, just left out on a table being man handled by 10s of people. That is where I keep rare books, out on a table where people can pick them up.

HA!

I honestly do love E-bay because it helps me stay home more with my kids, but if your going to sell it on your front lawn chances are your not going to get 100 for it.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty-Graw said:
ebay in general has hurt yard sales and flea markets.....not only do people look the item up before selling it...... you have tons of people that buy to resell and yard sales are like day after thanksgiving sales at walmart lol....when i go to the flea market i have to get there about 4:30 AM ....way before daylight and chase trucks that are coming in and dig and poke around using a flashlight before they unload....get there early or you dont get the goods...sad but true
Not realy though because I used to Garage sale to find stuff for Ebay, and did pretty well at it.
so for the garage sale host
it works good.
for the rest of you garage salers
The early bird gets the worm

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
its not the stores .its ebay itself. since everyone has access to the global market.everyone buys to resell.before ebay u almost only bought for urself or close friends.but still many finds to make.and mostly because. a .1 mans trash rule. b. timing

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm in a pretty rural place where many people don't even have a computer (mostly missourians heehee) so I think I'm fortunate. I don't goto yardsales as often as I used to but I still find a lot of Fenton glass to sell and other odds n ends.
I wouldn't be very happy if I was in a city trying to make a living at it. If there's an easy way to make money it won't last long because every Tom Dick and Harry jumps on.

oldhermit34

Jun 21, 2007
columbus, ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 50
It's not just EBay, but there are a lot of on-line auctions up there. My wife used to make good money on EBay, now it's hardly worth it, besides of E-bays higher prices.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Ive never seen a ebay consignment store last long around here, you just gotta do it yourself to do well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions