What's new

Do Michigan schools usually let you detect?

DetectorRob

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2019
Messages
46
Reaction score
70
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter quick draw pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very new to this hobby and I'm going out Friday. I decided to call my very first public school and they said yes as long as it's after 5pm. Is this typical? Or did I just get lucky?
 
Just leave the site as good as you found it, no open holes, no trash - even the surface stuff.

I lived in Michigan when I bought my first detector = 1980, hit them schools hard, and never left anything behind to be criticized for.
 
I think you got Lucky. Never ask for permission on public property, you don't need to, you pay taxes and you are a shareholder along with everyone else of that property. Respecting the time like after 5pm is smart as you don't want 1000 kids stepping on your coil and it looks better. If someone of authority asked you to leave then do so, but asking for permission ahead of time will result in many NO's because people just can't be bothered saying yes. Private property is a totally different story NEVER DETECT WITHOUT PERMISSION.
 
Well I surely can't imagine it being legal when school is in session
 
Most people do schools on weekends or the evenings or during Summer holidays. It would be legal, but probably not looked upon well. In this hobby the word discretion plays out best in most situations. Out of site = out of mind -- works best.

The one place kids don't go near during Summer vacation is a School yard :dontknow:
 
Last edited:
Thank you ! I appreciate the responses
 
Let us know how you do!
 
I live there and have hunted dozens with never an issue. What is this calling you speak of?
 
I prefer weekends at schools. If you hunt into the evening hours, your more likely to have the police called on you even if you have permission. Get the persons name and phone number that gave you permission in the event you have to prove it to the police. And as others have said, always leave the place as clean or cleaner than when you started. If you leave open holes and a mess, I guarantee you, nor anyone else will be permitted to hunt there again. Welcome to the forum, and the hobby. Good luck.
 
Wouldnt know, never asked...
 
I don't ask for permission to hunt public land though I always hunt the schools in the evening or weekends, even then I collect a herd of kids who follow me around asking me what I am looking for or if I found anything.
 
I've never had a problem fill your holes pick up trash dont dig everything be more selective in places like that Mich the state flower is a pull tab
 
I've never had a problem fill your holes pick up trash dont dig everything be more selective in places like that Mich the state flower is a pull tab

State flower LOL thats funny
 
Thanks but also true
 
I went out today at 7am to a local park. They had a volley ball area so lots of sand. I really really enjoyed myself and using my detector for the first time. I love digging in the dirt and getting my hands all dirty. This is what I found. I have not gone to a school yet because the detector came late Friday and I sleep during the day . ( work nights ) I absolutely loved finding matchbox cars !!!! One was burried the other on top of the grass.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/135727-albums5368-picture1748054.html IMG_20190831_101719.webp
 
On public lands, I have never asked and have never had a problem.
It is really easy nowadays to go online for a given city and check out their parks and recreation rules.
You can get around the various ordinances about digging.
Learn and master coin recovery with nothing but a brass probe and a dull flat blade screwdriver.
You can't tell I was ever there.
Private property, always have preferably written permission.
Often times neighbors watch over each other and when Bob didn't tell Joe that it is okay to be there..

Mike
 
I've never had a problem fill your holes pick up trash dont dig everything be more selective in places like that Mich the state flower is a pull tab
Lol yea pull tabs are Michigan's state metal! ( new category, have to let Lansing know to update maps and stuff)
Jon :occasion14: :headbang:
 
Lol yea pull tabs are Michigan's state metal! ( new category, have to let Lansing know to update maps and stuff)
Jon :occasion14: :headbang:

We should donate them to fill potholes.
Or better yet , toss them in potholes ourselves to get it done...
 
Lol yea pull tabs are Michigan's state metal! ( new category, have to let Lansing know to update maps and stuff)
Jon :occasion14: :headbang:
We need a pull tab forum Ive found a few Banners I never did that but it seems it must have been the thing to do back then if I dug every signal I could be out for 8 hours and noi have gone more than 10ft
 
I've never thought of putting them in a case before, but I reckon I have at least 25 different pull tab varieties lol
Be thankful for us old school guys. I dug thousands of tabs all throughout the 80's and 90's.
Back then, early 80's, the ratio of tab to gold ring was fantastic!
Anyone have a time machine ?:laughing7:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom