Do you have PROOF of a KGC treasure?

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.
Jay, did you notice how easily that lid came off the jar? :icon_scratch: I don't know if you have ever found a buried jar before, but if it has been in the ground for any length of time it's stuck on there like it was superglued. How about that nice clear glass? Didn't seem to have that been buried for a 100 plus year look.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, okie, I have opened many old Mason jars in my lifetime. On some of them the lids came off quite easily. On others, not so easily. Having also been in the antiques and collectible business for many years, I also know that old jars that are buried most of their lifetimes do not change in color. Only when they are exposed to sunlight for many years, do they take on a purpleish hue or tone. As for the detectorists having been over the exact same spot where he located the gold and silver coins with the broken jar and not finding anything back then, there could be many reasons as I am sure you know. One of the most obvious is that they were using searchcoils that were too small to detect at that depth. Another is that they didn't first pass over the spot with a gpr which Pastore's group did. Still another is that they did not have enough experience to know that they should dig all targets no matter how weak the signal. As for the other jars that had no coins, the same reasons could apply or they could have been using detectors with their discriminators tuned too high and, thus, rejected the zinc lids.
I'm sure you could imagine the hades I'd catch on this and other forums if I tried to make a dime off of the tunnel project from the naysayers. :laughing9: The same old criticisms would come from the same bunch that has been pestering me for over 5 years now regarding our investigation into the life and death of Bloody Bill Anderson. They include: "That old Jay Longley is just doing this so he can sell more of the books he's going to write." [If anyone has found such a book in the past 5 years, I'd sure love to see it.] or "He just wants to be related to someone famous like Bloody Bill Anderson." [If you knew anything about my dna tests and who it proved I am descended from, you can throw that crazy allegation out the window with the others.] or "Jay Longley has no manners and must be an outcast in his hometown." [Absolute proven nonsense. Any one of many Brown County old-time citizens will tell you that outlandish statement is false. Or, if you would check this town's election records a few decades back, before the Internet, you would find that I have always been quite popular in my hometown.] So, when you say "If you wanted to profit from them I doubt anyone would blame you.", you've really got to be pulling my leg. :)
~Texas Jay

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
I wasn't talking about the color of the jar. I'm talking about how clear the glass was. Every buried jar I've seen come out of the ground had a haze to it. I was also talking about buried jars having the lids sealed tight, not one from grannys root cellar. A rusty zinc lid doesn't just twist right off, but then again that wasn't a rusty zinc lid they had, was it? Now the ones they found down by the creek sure looked rusty.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
:icon_thumright:

Texas Jay, you only need to spend a couple of days with Pastore to realize he has no idea what he's doing. It's extremely obvious in the lies that he tells trying to impress people. Maybe you didn't notice the matching uniforms and badge?

As for the "treasure" recovered, Okie is correct, the spot is very sandy and I don't believe there were any roots either. The spot where he "dug up" the coins is on the edge of a hill that is made of sandstone and the edge drops off rather quickly. You seem to talk about the finds and the location like you actually know something when you don't. You haven't been on the site, you don't know what's there as far as carvings or markers, you don't know any of the history of the property, hell, you don't even know Pastore personally but you choose to believe his musings about the KGC even though he is using maps and information from Orvus Howk and the dark recesses of his own mind. Not that it will matter to you at all but I can guarantee that the jar of coins was not there prior to Pastore and his TV show.

I may have only spent a few months with the guy but that's a few month more than what you have. I would think that makes me a little more qualified to talk about how he does things than you. I realize you are never going to change your mind about the KGC but you offer no proof of anything you say so I don't see how you can expect someone to just take your opinion as fact and not have somebody question what you say. Treasure hunting is all about the research and if you blindly follow somebody's lead then that's a mistake. Asking questions and finding the proof is how it works.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okietreasurehunter said:
I wasn't talking about the color of the jar. I'm talking about how clear the glass was. Every buried jar I've seen come out of the ground had a haze to it. I was also talking about buried jars having the lids sealed tight, not one from grannys root cellar. A rusty zinc lid doesn't just twist right off, but then again that wasn't a rusty zinc lid they had, was it? Now the ones they found down by the creek sure looked rusty.

Well, okie, that jar wasn't "down by the creek" was it?
~Texas Jay

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Texas Jay said:
okietreasurehunter said:

Well, okie, that jar wasn't "down by the creek" was it?
~Texas Jay

That "jar" was at the base of a bluff where there are a set of caves that seep water. The area/sand is almost always moist if not wet becuase of the water from the bluff and the caves. The water is the reason the caves are there.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zinc doesn't "rust", it corrodes. There's a difference.
~Jay~

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corroded zinc comes off much easier than rusted iron.
~Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must admit that I wasn't paying much attention to the lid on the broken jar. I was too busy enjoying seeing the gold and silver coins being retrieved from beneath the thick roots. ;D I'll try to pay attention to the jar lid the next time I watch it but I can't guarantee I'll be successful. There's just something about over 100 year-old coins being dug that just thrills me.
~Texas Jay

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
I was too busy noticing the bright, clear glass and those shiny coins to notice the "thick" roots. I was also trying to figure out how all those coins got out of the broken jar and scattered in that hole like they were. I have found broken, buried jars but the contents were still pretty much intact. I'll take a look at the video again and see if I can see those roots you love so much.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver dollars found in the hole were not all that "bright" and, if you look again at them, you will see they are tarnished a bit just as you would expect circulated silver coins to be that were buried for over one hundred years in a glass jar. Gold, as I am sure you know doesn't tarnish or corrode so, of course, the gold coins were bright. They could have been buried a thousand years and retained the same brightness.
~Texas Jay

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
What I noticed was that when the gold bar was found, Pastore was way too calm.
I would have done well not to wet my pants!
Did he know that it was there (planted), or was he too drunk to care? :dontknow:

All I know is that he sent me an email about his show.
After watching the show I emailed him back.
I for sure did not get the "warm fuzzies" from his response. :wink:

TW

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
The silver coins were definitely too bright or clean to have been in the ground for 100 years or even 50 years, especially that ground. The jar or what was left of it and the lid was way to clean also.

As for the gold bar, they were all too calm and what person uses a metal detector to "verify" that what you have found is gold. Anybody that has used a detector with a meter on it knows they are notoriously incorrect.

Also, if the gold bar was inside the tree why wasn't the tree grown around it? The were digging into a part of the tree where it was open and had been open for many, many years. How does a gold bar that was supposedly buried 100 years ago get into a open part of a tree that isn't even 100 years old?

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
As an outsider to this thread, but hopefully being open-minded to all theories, it's hard for me to believe the Pastore TV extravaganza is still being seriously discussed here. There was nothing serious about the episode - it was a blatant cartoon show and certainly did not strengthen the various 'KGC' arguements, IMHO. Unfortunately for Pastore and his cause, he failed the 'prudent man' test miserably and intrenched himself into the 'bozo' camp.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
I would agree, it is hard to believe it's still being discussed. I guess that "BS" detector you use is working pretty well! :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread