Do you trust your neighbor to own a sword?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One again, the gun guys turn a thread and make it all about them and their fear of being mugged. The OP wanted to know thoughts about carrying a SWORD, not a gun. How about some comments about somone who feels the need to carry a sword in public?

Might want to reread the opening post, the sword is a 22 LR pistol. I have carried my Buck hunting knife, both concealed and open carry many times.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Closest I have to a "sword" and something I carry frequently when bowhunting or scouting.

s1tVmiC.jpg

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, guys, never heard someone refer to their gun as a sword! I thought he was just crazy! Lol! Please forgive me...

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it pathetic when they say we need gun control to protect the children and yet kill over 600,000 defenseless babies a year by abortion.

I am against illegal abortions that not only killed babies, but their mothers. We will always have abortions, legal or illegals. We are both old enough to read about illegals abortions and what were involved. Make abortion illegals again and that is what is going to happen, killings of mothers and injuries.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am against illegal abortions that not only killed babies, but their mothers. We will always have abortions, legal or illegals. We are both old enough to read about illegals abortions and what were involved. Make abortion illegals again and that is what is going to happen, killings of mothers and injuries.

I'm against murdering 600,000+ innocent babies.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pro-2nd Amendment. I have a lifetime permit to carry a concealed weapon. I've got pistols, rifles, shotguns... My wife has a Featherweight .38 with an internal hammer to protect herself and the kids if I'm not around. I often carry when travelling since the vast majority of the states that I travel to have reciprocity laws and I don't know what I'll run into. I don't often feel the need to ccw when I'm out in town. The rural folks around me are pretty mellow. If I lived in another location, perhaps I'd ccw more. I always have a knife on me though.

I am also a lifetime member of the NRA. My father bought it for me a couple of decades ago as a gift when it was super cheap. I'm glad he did because I am adamantly anti-NRA and the NRA has spent waaaaay more on me on printing and mailing costs of their monthly propaganda magazine, "American Rifleman", and all the other crap they send me, than the paltry $50 or $100 that my father spent on the lifetime membership (I can't remember. It was long ago.). I'd cancel it because of the environmental impact of using those resources, and because they can claim me as a member in their advertising and fundraising drives and bigger numbers are better for that stuff, but I remain a member so that I can partake in their bankruptcy in my own little way and I recycle all of their propaganda (except for the pre-paid envelopes... which I send back to them un-stamped and empty... so that they have to pay the postage... "Postage will be paid by addressee"... support the USPS!!).

Before the NRA's bankruptcy filing, they were calling me weekly, begging for donations. I'd keep their fundraising people on the line as long as possible so that they couldn't spend time wheedling money out of another NRA member... and I'd explain my reasons for not giving them a dime at length. Half the crap that they'd say to try to get me to donate were lies, so first I'd call them out on their lies and propaganda. Then I'd let them know that the NRA is anti-democratic. They fight ANYTHING gun related. The VAST majority of Americans (80%+) support common-sense gun control legislation, like universal background checks, closing loopholes, preventing potentially violent offenders from obtaining guns, etc. However, the NRA is adamantly opposed to the will of the vast majority of Americans. The NRA is an extremist fringe group these days. They even oppose legislation that would prevent the mentally ill and violent criminals from obtaining weapons. Seriously.

Like many here, I had to pass a background check to get my ccw permit. It wasn't hard though. I just don't understand the opposition to universal background checks and reasonable waiting periods. If you're a law-abiding citizen, you'll get approved. If you're a wife-beating or violent felon, mentally ill or whatever, you shouldn't. Common-sense legislation may prevent criminals from obtaining a gun and may save numerous lives (maybe yours or one of your loved ones). Doesn't sound that bad to me.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that this was about 2nd Amendment rights, not a Roe vs. Wade debate... Can we just leave that topic alone? Because I don't think that any number of posts or pages will get anyone to change their stance on that issue.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by "common sense" Kantuckeean?

Because waiting periods? Why wait when I can just go home and get a gun I already own? Meanwhile every waiting day is a day a victim of domestic abuse or otherwise threatened individual might be defenseless. I'm not sure you have considered the consequences of "common sense" gun laws.

Here is a gun law- Don't steal anything and don't shoot anyone. If you threaten anyone we will return fire. - common sense.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess I have a different take on that as well . Any woman that could murder her baby in an alley with a coathanger can rot from the inside as maggots eat her as far as I'm concerned.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arm The Unborn!

:dontknow:

If you want to have a discussion of how a new individual is created the exact second the mother's and father's chromosomes combine to form a completely new strand of DNA, then you need to ask your parents about the birds and the bees, but this forum really isn't the place to discuss baby killing.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Arm The Unborn!

:dontknow:

If you want to have a discussion of how a new individual is created the exact second the mother's and father's chromosomes combine to form a completely new strand of DNA, then you need to ask your parents about the birds and the bees, but this forum really isn't the place to discuss baby killing.

That would certainly be a birth to remember. :laughing7: Though mom may walk funny for a little while after...

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by "common sense" Kantuckeean?

Because waiting periods? Why wait when I can just go home and get a gun I already own? Meanwhile every waiting day is a day a victim of domestic abuse or otherwise threatened individual might be defenseless. I'm not sure you have considered the consequences of "common sense" gun laws.

Here is a gun law- Don't steal anything and don't shoot anyone. If you threaten anyone we will return fire. - common sense.

"Common sense" as in violent criminals and mentally ill people shouldn't be able to purchase firearms and universal background checks so that dangerous people can't purchase guns. Do you believe that violent criminals and mentally ill people should have easy access to firearms???

You already have guns, so how will a waiting period harm you?? You can "just go home and get a gun I already own." You proved my point. A waiting period wouldn't harm you in the slightest. I can do the same. Most law-abiding folks wouldn't mind a 3- or 7-day waiting period. Guns for most law abiding folks aren't impulse buys. You don't just walk into a gun store and say, "I need a new anything and a couple boxes of ammo and I need it now!" If you're thinking about a new hunting rifle, shotgun, or ccw, or whatever, you do your research, shop around, then make the decision. A universal background check and waiting period could prevent a person from committing a "heat of the moment" mass shooting or killing though.

As for waiting periods... If a threat is so imminent to a law-abiding citizen that they need a gun and don't already have access to one, but they have the time, resources, and ability to get to the gun store, then they also have the time, resources, and ability to remove themselves from the imminent threat to a safe location until they can properly arm and protect themselves, or until law enforcement can detain and delay that threat until they can arm themselves.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What mentally ill? My cousin has been diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder, she is a hoarder. Should she be denied the right to defend herself with the common tools of the day? I don't think so.

The problem with the mentally ill should be denied firearms argument is that the determination of mental impairment is subjective. Just because a person is sick in the head does not mean they must be violent. Who determines who is ill? Maybe fear of other people's inanimate possessions is a mental illness...

It isn't until a person proves themselves incompetent or dangerous that they can legitimately be prohibited the common right to defense.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
I couldn't care less if my neighbors own firearms. It is none of my business. If more people would worry about their own backyards first the country would be much better off.

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Could prevent heat of the moment killings"

These waiting periods have been in place for some time now. Exactly how many muders did they prevent?

And yeah, waiting periods do affect gun owners? What if I get called away to Missouri on an emergency duck hunting expedition? Well hell, I would need a new fowl peice. What if I can't get a decent gun before the plane leaves? Would you deny me the right to go duck hunting within state and federal regulation with the shotgun of my choice?

What about Liberty?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread