DOC NOSS-Victorio Peak OR The Caballo Mountains

In New Mexico, a mining claim does not grant a right to keep people off your claim, especially on public land. If you are actively engaged in executing a mining plan (actually recovering ore), then you do have certain restrictive rights.

There aren't many treasure trove claims filed any more in NM because of the legal uncertainty of ownership in the event something is found. Lawyers. Besides, a lot of folks don't like to advertise their secret locations by filing locations in the public records. Rules for both types of claims vary by state.

Spring,

While mining claims may vary from state to state, Treasure Trove does not (depending on who administers the land your treasure trove is hiding in). Your TT Permit to SEARCH (ONLY) must be approved by the local BLM Managing Ranger (after a non-refundable $250 deposit, An Archaeological Survey of your site, after you post a reclamation bond, and finally a plan of action detailing exactly what equipment you will use and how much of the countryside you plan on digging up), and your actual TT RECOVERY must be negotiated with the General Services Admin (GSA) in DC.

Mike

Springfield, when you go and apply for your TT permit, and you give them the proper info, and your permit is appoved, its all over, you will be informed that anytime you return to your site you are to be accompanied by a person of proper authority, you can go back to the site with the proper authority and only point out the spot you think is where whatever it is you think something is hidden,from that point the person of proper authority will call in an archaeological team to see if theres anything to be moved or taken out, if there is, the person of proper authority will have an armored car come to the site, the stuff will be removed by the archaeological team, taken to a private place and inventoried. without you, from the time you get the permit approved you cant do anything more to your site, np:cat:

O.K. did willie d or doc n, find one of the seven caves already found by the Spanish that were hot on the trail of Montezuma's treasure, when the Spanish found this place did they melt a part of the treasure down into dore" bars and inventorying them into a warehouse in the cave. np:cat:

Springfield, when you go and apply for your TT permit, and you give them the proper info, and your permit is appoved, its all over, you will be informed that anytime you return to your site you are to be accompanied by a person of proper authority, you can go back to the site with the proper authority and only point out the spot you think is where whatever it is you think something is hidden,from that point the person of proper authority will call in an archaeological team to see if theres anything to be moved or taken out, if there is, the person of proper authority will have an armored car come to the site, the stuff will be removed by the archaeological team, taken to a private place and inventoried. without you, from the time you get the permit approved you cant do anything more to your site, np:cat:

Hey NP,

Not exactly. What you initially get is a permit to explore. It does not allow you to excavate or do any recovery work. You may only use what tools agreed to in the Plan of Operation submitted to the BLM. You may have a BLM Ranger show up at your site from time to time checking up on your progress, but nothing regular. When you finally find that elusive treasure, you are required to report the find to the local BLM. When the BLM Ranger inspects your site, and verifies that you have found your treasure trove, it is from this point that the site will be watched 24/7. Of course you will have to pay for all security, recovery, and reclamation out of your share of your agreement with the GSA. Their percentage comes right off the top.

................ and get ready. When your find is verified, everybody that you have ever spoken to regarding that particular treasure is getting ready to sue your a$$. Every one of them will say that they gave you the information you needed to find whatever it is you found. While you are fighting all them, the Government will most probably be trying to find a way to hamstring you and find a pretense to take your find from you (paperwork mistake, paperwork filed late, site not exactly where your POO stated, you don't have legal right to claim, etc). Remember, Mel Fisher had to fight 122 lawsuits AFTER he found the Atocha (including the US Government and the State of Florida who both renigged on their original written agreements with Fisher and tried to steal everything). It took a Federal Court to finally say that since the US Gov and Florida violated their original agreements, Fisher was entitled to everything. You need to have VERY good attorneys!

Mike

Perhaps if anyone knows of such an attorney, they should post their contact info here...

Unless you have VERY good proof that you are on the right spot, a very good attorney may not work on a percentage. Even then, you would have to share the secret of the exact location of your cache with them.

My advice would be to contact Taffi Fisher at "Mel Fisher's Treasures". She could guide you to a good attorney, but you need to find one that deals mainly with Government Contract Negotiations.

Mike

Mike,are you sure you want to have people contact them, why don't you contact them and ask them about mels hunt for the beale treasure in the 1980's, im sure there are still a lot of investors in Virginia that would like to talk to them. np:cat:

Last edited:
If the Mexican Government were hungry enough, they might let their recovery rules slip a bit. If they did, I might even spend a year or two in Veracruz trying to root out the "Fisherman's Treasure" of Raul Hurtado. As it is, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!

Mike

Mike,are you sure you want to have people contact them, why don't you contact them and ask them about mels hunt for the beale treasure in the 1980's, im sure there are still a lot of investors in Virginia that would like to talk to them. np:cat:

Talk to them about what? They didn't find anything.

Investing in a treasure hunt is HIGHLY SPECULATIVE. If Fisher went there and left after a week, I might tend to agree with you. Fisher stayed there from 1989 till 1990. They spent the better part of a year. They originally got involved because there was a witness that they believed.

Fisher realized about $400 million (to date I believe) from the Atocha. EVERY one of his investors was more than happy with the divvying of the proceeds. You are hinting that they defrauded some folks in Virginia, but ask yourself this:

"Why would a man that JUST realized way more than $100 million (at the time) profit from the Atocha, need to defraud some people in Va out of a pittance?" Doesn't make any sense to me. In any business venture, the old saying applies: Use other people's money on anything highly speculative.

Mike

Gollum, not exactly. you really need to get your story correct. none of what you said about them in va is correct. but I guess to know the hole story you would have to have been there. I was. , I just get angry for the way those people in that county got treated.dont take my word for it, ask anyone in that area,those people in that part of the country never forget, and no I don't agree with the way you use other peoples money for speculation, that's no way to treat people or make friends,.it may be good for you,its not for me .life is speculative .but too many speculations on too many treasures is not good ,at some point you have to produce something. and I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. anyway enough of that discussion, its not even interesting and does not belong on this thread,np:cat:

Last edited:
One of the posts that I was d\referring to===>

"ve been meaning to bring this up for awhile, but i've always wondered if they ever used the Rio Grande to transport their goodies to the Gulf of Mexico. I know mr Don Jose has mentioned that the goods were transported to a small bay just south of the Texas border for shipment, and I have read about that elsewhere. The river, like mr Springfield mentioned, was navigatable in those days. Curious what you guys and gals think about that possibility. Plenty of places to hide the stash along the way if need be.....maybe some left behind along the way?....hmmmm"

Hey that looks familiar.
Still wondering if this was a way to get to the shipping point, and is there any evidence to support that theory?

Unfortunately most of them have been reduced to lumps of adobe, difficult to identify or find in scrub brush, so, being short of operating funds as usual - chronic treasure hunters disease - I am applying for an "Explores Club Grant".

This will be used to purchase, or whatever, A multi engine ultralight for aeriel search, sat and aeriel photographs made by the US for all of Mexico etc. and ancilliary expenses.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back