Does anybody know if such a thing exists?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody know if there is an audible or visual alarm that can be installed on the outdoor unit of a heat pump to alert you should it malfunction?
If so, who would I get to install one?
Have you tried contacting the folks that installed your unit?

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of modern heat pumps are able to report their status on your mobile phone, either authomatically, in case os mailfunction, or upon request. Check with the manufacturer of your device.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I have some rental units that I was hoping to outfit with alarms of some sort so the tenants could alert me if the outdoor units quit running. I know the "auxiliary heat on" message appears on the thermostat, but once the thermostat is set, who even looks at it? Last month, the unit quit and the electric bill was close to 500 dollars. Also, I don't have a smart phone.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some rental units that I was hoping to outfit with alarms of some sort so the tenants could alert me if the outdoor units quit running. I know the "auxiliary heat on" message appears on the thermostat, but once the thermostat is set, who even looks at it? Last month, the unit quit and the electric bill was close to 500 dollars. Also, I don't have a smart phone.
Ouch. Clear why you want one now. If you are on good terms with renters you could have them check daily and just let you know. That is not a strain on anyone.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ouch. Clear why you want one now. If you are on good terms with renters you could have them check daily and just let you know. That is not a strain on anyone.
hey, I cannot even get my wife to turn lights off when she leaves the room. good luck with getting renters to do anything. Maybe charge them for 1/2 the electric bill in their contract. They get a surprise $250 bill maybe they will pay attention.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey, I cannot even get my wife to turn lights off when she leaves the room. good luck with getting renters to do anything. Maybe charge them for 1/2 the electric bill in their contract. They get a surprise $250 bill maybe they will pay attention.
Sounds like you did a bad job training your wife.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why did the outdoor unit quit on you? Was it a compressor failure? Fan motor failure? Some obscure control or relay? Kind of like IDing a find,need a little more to go on.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the HVAC service business for 5 years or so but a long time ago so I,m not familiar with the newest controls and internal workings. Seems like a competent guy could rig up a simple circuit to a light or buzzer that would alert the tenant,who could call you. Got to be some software that could send an alert to your computer by Email or something of the sort. I don,t have a smart phone either.Wal Mart flip special!

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Why did the outdoor unit quit on you? Was it a compressor failure? Fan motor failure? Some obscure control or relay? Kind of like IDing a find,need a little more to go on.
Seems to be a high pressure issue. Both are fairly new units, and get serviced on a service contract twice a year. One got hung up in the defrost mode and the other just quit working. Filters are clean, pressures are good, ..I'm beginning to think there is something screwy with the mother boards.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unfortunately, we do not train wifes- wifes trains us......
You know I might try that approach. Whenever she gets through splitting the fire wood, shoveling snow off driveway, and fixing my lunch, I will ask if she would like that. I know what she will say though. "Whatever you think dear."
She is a sweetheart.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to be a high pressure issue. Both are fairly new units, and get serviced on a service contract twice a year. One got hung up in the defrost mode and the other just quit working. Filters are clean, pressures are good, ..I'm beginning to think there is something screwy with the mother boards.
I am starting to think there is something screwy with the service folks. Just saying.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I got out of the business,they didn,t even have boards.Relays and contactors.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There,s a bunch of things could cause that,some are unique to a specific brand so I don,t have any help for you.I still think a reasonably good electrician or tech could rig a circuit using a light or buzzer tied to a relay that would light or sound off in the house if the outside unit quit,regardless of the reason. The tenant would still have to let you know.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There,s a bunch of things could cause that,some are unique to a specific brand so I don,t have any help for you.I still think a reasonably good electrician or tech could rig a circuit using a light or buzzer tied to a relay that would light or sound off in the house if the outside unit quit,regardless of the reason. The tenant would still have to let you know.
That is quite brilliant and cheap idea. That should not cost much either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread