What's new

Does anybody know what its like to live in Venice, FL?

OBXmetalDet

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2019
Messages
381
Reaction score
281
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure where I should post this.

I found out a week ago that I lost my job due to budget cuts. I think Venice might be a nice place yo live. It's much cheaper than Northern Virginia.

If I found a job here first, even invites remote, then moved, I might lose my job. So it might be better to move there first.

What are the pros and cons of living in Venice?

Any advice would be appreciated.
 
venice is a mear 10 feet above sea level......
 
Good luck with your new dealings in life. I hope things work out great for you "_
 
I've lived in Florida most of my life and see no drawbacks to living any where in Florida. You will have a hurricane or three every now and then to keep you on your toes.
 
I've lived in Florida most of my life and see no drawbacks to living any where in Florida. You will have a hurricane or three every now and then to keep you on your toes.

Oppressive humidity,12 foot gators who eat little dogs for snacks, 10 foot pythons, bugs the size of your fist, lizards everywhere and a steady stream of boat people recently released from Cuban prisons. Not to mention those life changing hurricanes that will destroy your home every year or two. No thanks.
 
Oppressive humidity,12 foot gators who eat little dogs for snacks, 10 foot pythons, bugs the size of your fist, lizards everywhere and a steady stream of boat people recently released from Cuban prisons. Not to mention those life changing hurricanes that will destroy your home every year or two. No thanks.
I don't like oppression whether it's humidity or anything else.
 
I've lived in Florida most of my life and see no drawbacks to living any where in Florida. You will have a hurricane or three every now and then to keep you on your toes.
Up here in a place called Northern Virginia I've experienced outer bands of hurricanes, but I've never experienced the full force of a hurricane anywhere. I'd like to see it at least once. Then go metal detecting afterwards.
 
Oppressive humidity,12 foot gators who eat little dogs for snacks, 10 foot pythons, bugs the size of your fist, lizards everywhere and a steady stream of boat people recently released from Cuban prisons. Not to mention those life changing hurricanes that will destroy your home every year or two. No thanks.

Oppressive humidity,12 foot gators who eat little dogs for snacks, 10 foot pythons, bugs the size of your fist, lizards everywhere and a steady stream of boat people recently
If I moved there and got a dog, I would be really concerned about the gators.

Several years ago, I read a story where some burglar was hiding right outside of a house. He ended up getting eaten by a gator.
 
You prep for hurricanes and you are good, main thing is having a generator. I personally wouldn't live in Venice because your home owners insurance would be high, but move inland 30-40 miles you are good. Gators are no big deal, I live on a lake, just dont walk your dog along the shore line if you know lake has gators.
 
You prep for hurricanes and you are good, main thing is having a generator. I personally wouldn't live in Venice because your home owners insurance would be high, but move inland 30-40 miles you are good. Gators are no big deal, I live on a lake, just dont walk your dog along the shore line if you know lake has gators.
I would be renting so no home owners insurance. I can't imagine how much home owners insurance is per month.
 
Last edited:
Then homeowners insurance is figured into your rent. My brother rents in Tampa, his landlord raised his rent $100 last year and raised it just this week another $200 a month.
That's criminal. I saw some listings on Zillow that have been there for over 100 days. They keep dropping rent prices recently. That would give me some bargaining power. They need to keep dropping those rental prices.
 
Rates of those moving here and building new homes and housing boom are currently back to pre pandemic levels from what i understand.

I have some advice for you (op)...
If you are moving here to bask in the sun / retire... then Florida is great if you have money.

IF you are moving here for a change and "job opportunity" etc... thennnnn you better be in construction related.
AND IF.... you are even in that OR any other trade... prepare to take less (half) money for what you do and to join the masses of others doing what you do unless you are in some specialty trade.

Many people move here with palm trees and pinna coladas on white sandy beaches in their minds... but reality will soon set in on the expense and struggle to keep up here.
 
Last edited:
PS... I lived in Venice / Nokomis for a bit actually and when i was there some many moons ago... there was not much there OR to do... but talking about over 30 years ago.
 
Oppressive humidity,12 foot gators who eat little dogs for snacks, 10 foot pythons, bugs the size of your fist, lizards everywhere and a steady stream of boat people recently released from Cuban prisons. Not to mention those life changing hurricanes that will destroy your home every year or two. No thanks.
And i couldnt even dream of moving North. heh
 
PS... I lived in Venice / Nokomis for a bit actually and when i was there some many moons ago... there was not much there OR to do... but talking about over 30 years ago.
We stayed in Venice for a month one winter to see if was a doable.
Discovered that between 3:30-4:30 PM it was dangerous 😳 to be going anywhere in Venice.
It was around that time slot all the grey haired folks were going out to get the early dinner specials.
Seen alot of scary things on the roads, big cars and eyes looking between the steering wheel and the dashboard.

Sharktooth hunting was a bonus 👌
 
We stayed in Venice for a month one winter to see if was a doable.
Discovered that between 3:30-4:30 PM it was dangerous 😳 to be going anywhere in Venice.
It was around that time slot all the grey haired folks were going out to get the early dinner specials.
Seen alot of scary things on the roads, big cars and eyes looking between the steering wheel and the dashboard.

Sharktooth hunting was a bonus 👌
And you didnt even bring ole ARC some Rum... sheesh
 
We stayed in Venice for a month one winter to see if was a doable.
Discovered that between 3:30-4:30 PM it was dangerous 😳 to be going anywhere in Venice.
It was around that time slot all the grey haired folks were going out to get the early dinner specials.
Seen alot of scary things on the roads, big cars and eyes looking between the steering wheel and the dashboard.

Sharktooth hunting was a bonus 👌
Too funny... The opposite is true around me...
Here where i am... life is VERY fast paced.
Everyone is in an extreme hurry.
The blue hairs are scared to drive here.
 
Rates of those moving here and building new homes and housing boom are currently back to pre pandemic levels from what i understand.

I have some advice for you (op)...
If you are moving here to bask in the sun / retire... then Florida is great if you have money.

IF you are moving here for a change and "job opportunity" etc... thennnnn you better be in construction related.
AND IF.... you are even in that OR any other trade... prepare to take less (half) money for what you do and to join the masses of others doing what you do unless you are in some specialty trade.

Many people move here with palm trees and pinna coladas on white sandy beaches in their minds... but reality will soon set in on the expense and struggle to keep up here.
I can see that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom