Does this ever happen to you?

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I have used many brands of detectors. This happens to all of them every once in a while. I would say it's some kind of falsing. If I can't get it to beep again - I move on. It's not your detector. Don't worry about having what you call is a cheap detector. All detectors are called "metal detetors" It's up to you to dig or not. Keep beeping and digging!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have the same thing happen to me too. Drives me nuts. I am going to be investing in a pinpointer, so I can get down deeper in the holes I dig. I was thinking maybe I dug down so far I lost the signal?
I pretty much fill in the hole and move on. Makes me wonder though if I passed up some good finds?
-MM-

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first got mine, I had a solid dollar coin hit. I kept digging only to discover a lovely hunk of aluminum siding!!

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Whenever I "loose" a signal I have either overdug and my target fell deeper into the hole(use pinpointer or if you dont have one, scoop all loose material from bottom of hole and re-check)....or, my detector falsed out on a piece of rusted tin or similar item and after exposing , my detector ignores it..(Go to "all metal mode" and check again).....You should be able to find whatever gave you the original signal although it may not be what your detector originally indicated.....Joe

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes this happens to me on occasion..I've been told of several reasons - it can happen if you're hunting uneven terrain, or your detector gets accidentally bumped, or it may give false signals as a reaction to minerals in the soil. All you can do is go over it again, and if there's no response, move on.

Nat

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
Routinely! Some reasons are-toucking the ground on a sweep-changing height during a sweep-weird ground minerlisation stuff-or coz the 'tector wants to!

Have fun,
Salvager

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a couple of times.....dug my little plug and then nothing there....in hole or plug.....hmmmm......looked at my little digger and there it was....lol...stuck to dirt on my digger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions