Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
RA: Regular Army
First two numbers designate the Corps (I'll check it later unless someone else adds here). These first two numbers will tell you several states in which that Corps operated; he either enlisted or was drafted in one of them.
T-55 is most recent year for his tetanus shot
B is his blood type
P is ( I believe) his religious affiliation: Protestant
The 'notch' is natural; used in the tag development procedure.
Don...

Upvote 0

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Don! You beat me again...but, you're always accurate & very quick at replying to these posts. Hopefully, we can find him to have it returned.

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

I just checked the serial numbers for WWII and that number isn't listed. I believe it was issued after 1946 but before Vietnam.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kurtma12

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
Is there any way on a serial number that new to get information on how to return it to the individual or family?

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Possibly it belonged to this man? He enlisted in 1965 and he did live in Atlanta-

Calvin Starks

Family-Placed Death Notice

Funeral services Mr. Calvin E. Starks will be conducted 11:00 AM, Saturday, December 4, 2004 at Meadows Memorial Chapel, 419 Flat Shoals Ave. SE, Atlanta, GA. Rev Earl Mosley, officating. Interment Bennie Hill Cemetery, Social Circle, GA. He is survived by wife, Pearlene Starks; stepsons, Frank Jr., Roosevelt, Lemar and Albert Dumas; daugther-in-law, Kristina Dumas; grandson, Jerome Dumas; great-grandson, Jamarco Dumas; and a host of other relatives and friends. Cortage assemble 10:00 AM, 465 Gist Ave, Atlanta, GA. Meadows Mortuary, Inc. (404) 522-7478.
Published in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution from 12/1/2004 - 12/3/2004.

U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010
about Calvin E Starks
Name: Calvin E Starks
Birth Date: 1 Nov 1936
Death Date: 27 Nov 2004
Cause of Death: Natural
SSN: xxxxxxxxxx
Branch 1: ARMY
Enlistment Date 1: 15 Aug 1965
Release Date 1: 15 Aug 1974

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
He enlisted in the area of 5th Corps that includes the following states only: OH, IN, KY and WV.
IMO most enlistees did their 2 years and got out. The notch was eliminated when the VN War began.
I'm guessing he served from '55 to '57 and was born about 1937. If his life was blessed, he'd be about 75 today.
Don.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kurtma12

kurtma12

Apr 19, 2009
Georgia
Bramblefind, I believe that would be him. The home I was at was in Social Circle, which is mentioned in that article. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
He enlisted in the area of 5th Corps that includes the following states only: OH, IN, KY and WV.
IMO most enlistees did their 2 years and got out. The notch was eliminated when the VN War began.
I'm guessing he served from '55 to '57 and was born about 1937. If his life was blessed, he'd be about 75 today.
Don.....

US would have been a 2 year enlistment, meaning he would have been drafted. However, RA means Regular Army and means that he enlisted for 3 years.
He wasn't a 2 year man, but a 3 year. My service number from 1967 begins with RA53, RA meaning that I enlisted for 3 years. My number being from 1967 and his number beginning with RA15 means that he enlisted long before 1967 but after WW2.

http://askville.amazon.com/military-Dog-Tag/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=20519050

Upvote 0

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
duggap:
You were part of the 4th Corps area as noted by the second number: NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, TN
Eddie: Any chance your service number is the same as your social security number?

Don.....

WRONG... I was inducted at Ft. Jackson, SC, on 14 Nov 1967, where just about everyone was inducted into the army during Vietnam. My number was RA 53 611 ---. I received my number at Ft. Jackson. They didn't change to SSAN's until 30 Jun 1969.

edit-- I found what you are talking about, but it's still not correct, based on my serial number.

http://33rdscb.tripod.com/id49.htm

Upvote 0

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
Eddie,
You cite a reference to Army Regulation 615-30, dated 12 Feb 1942. (http://33rdscb.tripod.com/id49.htm)

Are you saying the information in that regulation as shown is wrong?
Don.....
I didn't notice the date on that. Maybe that was correct for 1942. All I can say is that I spent 27 years in the army, retiring in 1994. If you don't think I can remember my old serial number you're insane. Even tho my number changed to my SSAN in 1969, my number still popped up now and then in my records.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread