The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i personally would not be without my double d coil now....the biggest advantage is the ability to cover a long yet narrow rectangular area. by doing so you get awesome target seperation which prevents adjoining targets from altering the value of the target you just went over....best $$$ i spent for an accessory

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The-Bone said:
i personally would not be without my double d coil now....the biggest advantage is the ability to cover a long yet narrow rectangular area. by doing so you get awesome target seperation which prevents adjoining targets from altering the value of the target you just went over....best $$$ i spent for an accessory

What he said :thumbsup:

the DD is the best way to go.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. I agree 100%, funny how all three of us just happen to deal with eastern pa soil.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a difference. Pictures describe it best and this is why you have to overlap at least 50% when using concentric coils. Pinpointing is easy with DD coils off the tip or the heel.

Attachments

• Concentric Coils.jpg
    Concentric Coils.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 7,317
  • Double-D.jpg
    Double-D.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 7,102

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Nice picture but it is BS. The concentric has 2 windings in the coil. One at the extreme outside edge and one in the inside edge. It is constantly transmitting and receiving. If that picture were true, I would not pick up at 2' which I do. The concentrate goes deeper than the DD for the same size coil. The concentric pinpoints better. I can exactly locate a quarter, then push my scribe in the ground and touch it every time. The DD does have a wider pattern, but since I scan side to side it makes little difference. The DD has 2 coil sets sitting side by side to get the wider pattern. That means it has two sweet spots, one in the center of each coil set. This hinders pinpointing rather than help it. As far as target separation, I have no problem, I merely move my detector slightly and can read either target. I am using a Whites XLT that is 10 years old with the original stock coil. The new Whites top dog has switched back to concentric on the latest version. I personally think the DD is icing on the cake for the sales dept. I have no trouble finding things like ruby rings and gold chains, and with a 10 year old detector, it's all profit. Why waste money on cake icing. Frank

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I find pinpointing very easy with the DD coils by doing the "Minelab wiggle." I too believe in using a probe to locate the coin by touch and popping it out.

OP
OP
CoilFisher

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow guys thx for the replies.

I wondered as I used one the other day for the first time. I only have ever used concentrics before.
It was a bit different, and I can't explain exactly how. It was not extremely difficult pinpointing, but a bit easier with the hole in the middle (concentrics) I think.
I did miss the target a couple times (And, yes thx Frankn I hear you as well :wink:).
I am still not sure exactly what to make of it, but I am going to use it for a while now and see what happens as I am up for the experiment. Since I already have it, no sense not using it.
It seems kind of big and clumsy, and I hear alot of chatter moreso than with an 8" concentric. Definitely a different feel.

I am going to read up. Thx. :D

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Actually I find pinpointing very easy with the DD coils by doing the "Minelab wiggle." I too believe in using a probe to locate the coin by touch and popping it out.
Yeah, I'm starting to use the wiggle method more and more.....its faster and just as accurate.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Nice picture but it is BS. The concentric has 2 windings in the coil. One at the extreme outside edge and one in the inside edge. It is constantly transmitting and receiving. If that picture were true, I would not pick up at 2' which I do. The concentrate goes deeper than the DD for the same size coil. The concentric pinpoints better. I can exactly locate a quarter, then push my scribe in the ground and touch it every time. The DD does have a wider pattern, but since I scan side to side it makes little difference. The DD has 2 coil sets sitting side by side to get the wider pattern. That means it has two sweet spots, one in the center of each coil set. This hinders pinpointing rather than help it. As far as target separation, I have no problem, I merely move my detector slightly and can read either target. I am using a Whites XLT that is 10 years old with the original stock coil. The new Whites top dog has switched back to concentric on the latest version. I personally think the DD is icing on the cake for the sales dept. I have no trouble finding things like ruby rings and gold chains, and with a 10 year old detector, it's all profit. Why waste money on cake icing. Frank

I agree with you... I got the V3i and used the D2 coil for a month and just could get any consistency out of it... I just was very hard to work with... I could make it work but I was digging way bigger holes than I should... pin pointing was awful... extremely noisy hunting with the D2 and the v3i... I switch to a 950 coil and all my problems were solved... and yeah the NEW VX3 has a 950 coil on it.... so that alone is saying a lot!

Chukers

oh yeah its a lot heavier... swing it for 2 to 3 hours at as time is noticeable!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ooooh this is a great subject. But we all know the concentric is deeper, size for size. That does not mean it is better by any means. Or worse.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Gleaner 1 , What would be your considerations for a better coil?

I only ask 2 things from my detector. Go down deep and tell me where it is. All the other info it gives me is icing on the cake. Frank

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a good topic. Concentric vs DD?. Impossible to answer. We might as well discuss our favorite color. Is one deeper, can one work better in the trash? Wow, it's impossible to wrap my mind around it all. I can't believe my comment is so short. It took me an hour to write this comment.

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chukers said:
Frankn said:
yeah the NEW VX3 has a 950 coil on it.... so that alone is saying a lot!
the only thing that tells me is that they are cheapening the product by putting the same coil on it they've put on all their other machines for the past 30 years

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay ,T Bone you are not suppose to change the quotes!!!!!!! That is a no no!!! Both those quotes have been changed to alter the meaning.
Actually, They changed the coil on the VX3 because the concentric pinpoints better. This has been verified by several posts from actual users. Frank

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cost for making either coil is practically the same... so I doubt that is the issue... I have to agree with the other that the 950 pin points better.

Chukers

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany
I've been using the 6X10DD and 10" Stock DD with my V3i in moderate to heavy iron. Today I got out with the 950 concentric for the first time. It sure was interesting. It is really a different experience. I feel like with the 950 I'm seeing what is really in the center of the coil (at 4" +). It worked ok in iron, but no way was it as good as EITHER DD coils. It's just not meant for heavier iron but if the iron is light to moderate it is a great to good coil (respectively). The pinpointing was DEAD ON, soooo much better than a DD coil. But, after a while with a DD you get the hang of it, though in years of using a DD coil I can't say I'm as good as I was in one day of using a concentric! :laughing9:

I dug three app. 100 year old coins this evening at around 4" - 5" with the 950 and the ID was hard to read on all of them (because of iron masking). I wasn't quite sure so dug and was a bit shocked to see a coin. (In fairness I'm new with concentric). I get the same with the DD coils, but I guess I'm used to hunting with them in iron. No knock against the 950 - I like it, am new with it and need to use it more to get a better feeling for it. But, I liked it - again, that surgical like feeling in the center of the coil was nice. Finding the coin and being able to see there was something above it and to the right - I can't do that as easily with a DD coil - but you don't really need to. They are just different.

The thing about the 950 coil is that you could easily miss a target if you don't overlap your swings by AT LEAST 50%, more if you want deeper. You can cover a lot of ground with the DD coils. If you look at those pics of the field below the coil the reason is clear. If I had time to really go over a spot without a lot of stuff in the ground I would use either the 950 or the 10"DD coil, depending on the conditions. The depth is about the same. If you have high mineralization you have to run the DD coil (or a small concentric). My soil is low in mineralization, but moderate to heavy in iron. I think the DD coils reign supreme here and cover more ground. The concentric is a great coil but takes more time to work the ground.

Lastly, I was able to run the concentric coil hotter without any falsing than the 10" DD coil. They are a bit sensitive when running hot, they can get chatty and so you need to learn to adjust the settings properly.

I'm still a DD guy but clearly it takes time to adjust to a new style of coil. An SEF coil might be a good in between jump for guys going away from concentric - a bit more of a compromise but for sure it's a DD style coil.

EMS

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Gleaner 1 , What would be your considerations for a better coil?

I only ask 2 things from my detector. Go down deep and tell me where it is. All the other info it gives me is icing on the cake. Frank

Yes, a concentric coil is a LITTLE deeper than a same sized DD, but that deeper portion is at a very small "point". So you can have a tiny but more depth that covers 1% of your coil, or a full depth reaction for the entire length.

That alone makes it a better coil. Now, combine that detection zone with the fact that is works much better in minerlized soil and high trash zones, makes it a better coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread