Draped Bust Half Cent, holed, with the string still through the hole!

PA Sleuth

Nov 26, 2014
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E Trac, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out for a few hours this morning to an 1800s permission. First nice find was an 1853 LC.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447628672.456152.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447628688.260933.jpg

This was followed by my third half cent ever, first Draped Bust, an 1807 (I think), holed, with the string still through the hole!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447628765.951565.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447628779.391548.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447628789.500335.jpg

I also found two Indian Head pennies, an 1903 and an 1908, no S though. I found part of a shoe buckle and the nicest corral bell I have ever found.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447628969.454769.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 23
Funny, ain't it. They go through all the trouble to punch a hole thru the coin and then just tie them together with a piece of string. :)

Nice!

That an awesome hunt there. Two bucket list items for me and my favorite Crotal bell. Great job!

The coins are awesome but that crotal bell would have been the find of the day for me :-) Congrats

Congrats on the coppers, and that's a great bell!

The coins are awesome but that crotal bell would have been the find of the day for me :-) Congrats

Trust me, I enjoy digging them, and I count myself lucky to live in such a historic area, but I actually dig them quite regularly, I must have 7 or 8 this summer.

Man is that a cool find! I've dug plenty of holed coins, but never seen a string attached like that. Very unique for sure!

Congrats on the great finds!! That LC is in really nice shape.

-- Jeff --

None of my old coins have been holed. That is extra special having the string still. What a conversation piece!

Got out for a few hours this morning to an 1800s permission. First nice find was an 1853 LC.

View attachment 1235912
View attachment 1235913

This was followed by my third half cent ever, first Draped Bust, an 1807 (I think), holed, with the string still through the hole!

View attachment 1235914
View attachment 1235915
View attachment 1235916

I also found two Indian Head pennies, an 1803 and an 1808, no S though. I found part of a shoe buckle and the nicest corral bell I have ever found.

View attachment 1235919

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Might want to recheck the Indian Head penny dates...could be off by a 100 years...

That half cent is the coolest thing. Cant believe it still has thread!! You have been killing it.
Congrats.

What a great hunt. Congratulations on some super coins and relics. Sub 8-)

Very cool that the string survived all that time being buried. Nice hunt!

DAGGONE CROTAL BELLS REMIND ME OF TULIP BULBS . MAN LOTS SPRINGING UP A ITTLE EARLY . REALLY NEEET FINDS ...

Very cool to fiND a holed coin with string still in it nice work

Awesome holed half cent. Did you keep the string? I kind of think that adds a bit of character to it :happysmiley:

Awesome permission and great digs. You pulled some real quality coins and that sweet crotal bell.

Awesome holed half cent. Did you keep the string? I kind of think that adds a bit of character to it :happysmiley:

Unfortunately the string disintegrated in the pouch, just glad I got a picture right out of the ground

Great finds! I love the intact string...makes the coin seem that much more personal or connected (irony intended) to the person who dropped it 200 years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back