What's new

Drill or point?

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2015
Messages
2,777
Reaction score
6,885
Golden Thread
0
Location
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was relooking at a drill I have but I am wondering if it is a point. Let me know what you think. Found in south central Colorado. It’s about an inch and a half. 4DBD52A1-5F14-41AB-934A-7CC74162467D.webp7869EC38-046F-441C-A600-A92BC981AC0E.webpA92CFE07-45F5-43FE-BA58-90613F1CBA15.webp
 
Upvote 0
Any visible polish on the edges or the tip? True Drills will normally show polish on the high spots from use.
 
It is definitely feel pointed and not smooth. I have another that I can see where it is smooth. Thank you. So would it be considered an awl, or still a drill, or would it be considered a point? I guess I can call it whatever because it will be in my drill case. Just making sure I don’t have Some kind of rare point. Thanks Grim! BB90C98E-FF3E-4DB6-9125-4918B6239FFA.webp
 
It sure does look like a drill. Nice find!
 
Here is one the same length found in the same general area. 12C3FDD1-D913-4309-BEAB-773F7B179250.webp
 
I found the point of a drill at a camp site and two years later I checked out the site again and I found the other (Head) half. So, it pays to recheck the areas where certain artifacts are found.
 
I found the point of a drill at a camp site and two years later I checked out the site again and I found the other (Head) half. So, it pays to recheck the areas where certain artifacts are found.

When I was younger we had family reunion campouts. I hiked a nearby hill and found what I thought was a rusty spoon handle. I threw it down. 2 years later I picked it up again realizing it was a metal trade point!
I agree things are always being blown out and at the same time being reburied. I like hunting windy dunes and dry lakes especially!
 
A lot of "drills" need to be rechecked in collections as many have been found on examination not just shape to be knives..or points. It really does depend on the wear. Like feeling a ground point, once you see and feel a (used) drill's wear makes it nice to ID. I guess if a drill is used on very soft material and the microabrasion isn't evident without a microscope that would be interesting lol. Take me diggin boom.
 
A lot of "drills" need to be rechecked in collections as many have been found on examination not just shape to be knives..or points. It really does depend on the wear. Like feeling a ground point, once you see and feel a (used) drill's wear makes it nice to ID. I guess if a drill is used on very soft material and the microabrasion isn't evident without a microscope that would be interesting lol. Take me diggin boom.
I have some very interesting ones but I think most of them are more of a gouge tool. Most gouges probably fit into the drill category anyway, I’m guessing. Thank you for the information! Anytime your out this way let’s go!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom