Drive through versus Lobby - Thoughts?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
When you all are just out hunting an area for halves, no relationships, no scheduled pick-ups, do you usually hit the drive through or the lobby? I've been a lobby guy, but I can see where the drive throughs would be way faster. Maybe you lose a little something on the personal side, but maybe the efficiency gain is worth it. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Would a bank even do it through a drive through Twitch?

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Banks near me do not allow coin deposits through the drive-through so I doubt they'd give coins to you that way.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I get a couple of boxes of dimes and nickels a week from a drive-up where I do a lot of my regular banking. If I get a box of new dimes from another bank, they will trade them for me. I just have to use the commerical window. Funny thing is inside the bank the VT said she can't give me sealed boxes because they are only for business and they only give me CWR in the lobby but the drive through gives me 5 or 6 sealed boxes every week.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never done the drive-thru only because if I walk into the bank, I HAVE to walk out with at least a few rolls of coins :)

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a couple of boxes of dimes and nickels a week from a drive-up where I do a lot of my regular banking. If I get a box of new dimes from another bank, they will trade them for me. I just have to use the commerical window. Funny thing is inside the bank the VT said she can't give me sealed boxes because they are only for business and they only give me CWR in the lobby but the drive through gives me 5 or 6 sealed boxes every week.
What the VT dont know wont hurt you.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others said, too impersonal... I always go inside.

Plus I never do drive thru anything anymore, why have cameras peeking in your car and recording everything in it :P

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Drive through's are for scumbag money-launderers, there ain't no reason for an honest-to-goodness person to use a drive-thru at a bank. I seen people wearing sunglasses in beat up, toyotas, go through drive-throughs and make a $5000 deposit.

Lobby for life.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks fella's, I thought that was the case. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't looking at it all wrong.

HH

halfnhalf

Feb 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i totally disagree...I do both and have just as much or even more luck doing the drive thru and can cover more ground picking up coins..I have gotten boxes right thru the commercial trays..Wells Fargo is very easy to work with..just my 2 cents and I dont feel like a scum bag money laundering low class nobody,thank you very much!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your posts fiddy, don't get me wrong, but this post was really uncalled for. You literally spit in minkybodl's face with this statement...
Drive through's are for scumbag money-launderers, there ain't no reason for an honest-to-goodness person to use a drive-thru at a bank. I seen people wearing sunglasses in beat up, toyotas, go through drive-throughs and make a $5000 deposit.

Lobby for life.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have certain areas that I don't frequent often, when I'm out in those areas and there are a lot of banks all around and I don't feel like shutting off and turning on my truck 20 times or opening and closing my drivers door 40 times, I will run the drive ups, they have to have a commercial window though or I will not even try it. Most of the time my 3 yr old girl is with me and it is unfair of me to take her out of her car seat more than a few times, so that is another reason I have used the drive ups also. I only ask for CWR or loose halves never boxes, I have had plenty of luck this way, you may not get what the tellers at the counter up front have( though sometimes you do if she goes up there and asks for you) but the drive up tellers have trays too, and get halves there too that you may not get from the front if the front teller doesn't ask the drive up teller if she has any. It really is a up to you and your situation, if you're pressed for time, drive ups a good way to cover a lot if banks real qwik too. HH, Maverick.

50, I use drive ups and I AM THE FURTHEST THERE IS FROM A SCUMBAG.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Now, I will add that at my every week normal banks I go to, I always go inside, besides i have to pick up my boxes. I have tellers that save stuff for me from building those relationships and brining in treats all the time and they know my kids and like seeing them. The drive ups also hold great finds from the elderly that can't get out of their car and drop off some halves and other cwr at the commercial window. HH, Maverick.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
The Lobby is better, especially for loose coin. The "weird" coins are rarely placed in the drive thru lanes, instead they are sold to the tellers up front.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I like your posts fiddy, don't get me wrong, but this post was really uncalled for. You literally spit in minkybodl's face with this statement...

Sorry buff, I skipped his post kind of, and wanted my position out there front-and-center. Also, most drive through where I am use tube-style delivery and have one small teller window, and you can't fit boxes through even with elbow grease. Sorry Minkybodi by the-way.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
The Lobby is better, especially for loose coin. The "weird" coins are rarely placed in the drive thru lanes, instead they are sold to the tellers up front.

Sorry to disagree with you GL, maybe where you are they do that but, in my area the tellers aren't that nice to each other, what's in there trays they are stuck with, tellers hate halves and the ones I know sure dont offer to buy them from the drive through tellers trays, I have found plenty of the "weird" coins in the drive ups, now they can sell them to the vault if they have a large enough quantity though, as far as saying that they make the front tellers buy the halves from the drive up tellers, that doesn't happen here. HH, Maverick.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience is very similar to maverick's.

In theory, I would expect the personal experience of going up to a window to be more fruitful. However, that just hasn't been the case for me. Matter of fact, I have never been given a significantly valuable coin by an inside teller. I've had much better luck at the drive-thru windows. I use the more personal commercial window. This gets us eye-to-eye usually and also allows for large amounts of coin to be passed. I would say I've been inside more than drive-thru but if I'm road tripping, I'll do drive-thru every time going forward.

Btw, the drive-thru money hole is probably larger than normal here. I'm able to pick up boxes of half dollars through the commercial lane.

OO

Last edited:

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Side note--- when the drive-thru is detached from the bank, it's a good idea to check there too! I have, on quite a few ocassions, picked up a few loosies and rolls from those detached drive thrus as they often have thier own safe for daily tills and only weekly or monthly reconsile everything down to the coinage with the main building...
PEACE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread