Dry washing southern nevada ?

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
not from Vegas, but I would bet its fairly wet for drywashins up that way.
Im 150 miles or so south of you and its soaked for months maybe till next summer?

with all the heavy desert erosion I bet one could do well Bleepin washes.
Good luck.............

OP
OP
jair

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's monsoon season so ya it's wet . But I have a 8 inch trommel also . I have an oven to essay dirt or rocks along with a lot of other equipment . So wet or dry I should be able to play with something

kmoku23

Dec 29, 2013
North Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any one from around lasvegas ?

I live in Vegas. I just recently got into this whole prospecting thing, about a week ago. I can honestly say that I haven't the slightest clue on what to look for or where to look. I figure since I'm out in the desert off roading, I guess I can try finding some gold or whatever is available. Any pointers for a beginner?

Al

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live in Vegas. I just recently got into this whole prospecting thing, about a week ago. I can honestly say that I haven't the slightest clue on what to look for or where to look. I figure since I'm out in the desert off roading, I guess I can try finding some gold or whatever is available. Any pointers for a beginner?

Al

HI Al, and welcome to the site...:hello:

There are many good prospecting clubs in and around the Vegas
area, and fwiw, that would be the very best way for you to get
a good start prospecting your region. In a club you'll find all the
help needed, plus they'll have opportunities for you to go out in
the field with seasoned prospectors in the club.

OP
OP
jair

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HI Al, and welcome to the site...:hello: There are many good prospecting clubs in and around the Vegas area, and fwiw, that would be the very best way for you to get a good start prospecting your region. In a club you'll find all the help needed, plus they'll have opportunities for you to go out in the field with seasoned prospectors in the club.
I work a lot but we need to get together . Been prospecting a few years and places to go . But yes a club is good .
I recommend gold searchers of southern Nevada . I belong to them and gold prospectors . GSSN has some claims in .
They are having an outing on the 18th and 19th .
Leaving Monday to go up north working on a 777 haul truck at a gold mine . Hope to have it done in a little over a week .

kmoku23

Dec 29, 2013
North Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from everyone. I was thinking about joining a club but wasn't sure what club to join. Jair, looking forward to meeting up and learning from someone who knows what he's doing. My cousin and I went to Nelson this past Sunday to do some off roading and decided to try our luck in one of the washes. We didn't find anything but we did notice someone has been there before for by the wholes that were dug in the wash. Is Nelson a good place to start out for beginners?

OP
OP
jair

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from everyone. I was thinking about joining a club but wasn't sure what club to join. Jair, looking forward to meeting up and learning from someone who knows what he's doing. My cousin and I went to Nelson this past Sunday to do some off roading and decided to try our luck in one of the washes. We didn't find anything but we did notice someone has been there before for by the wholes that were dug in the wash. Is Nelson a good place to start out for beginners?
I spent a lot of time there in the Eldorado wash and packing a lot of weight out to find very little and very fine gold . I was relent lent to join a club . Stubborn and wanted to find gold on my own . We wheel the deserts also .

kmoku23

Dec 29, 2013
North Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet, I'm all about wheeling. Been to a few mines while wheeling around Vegas but I wasn't into prospecting then so I never paid them much attention. But it was neat to see all the mines. Maybe one day we should go wheelin and do a little prospecting. Are you a member of any off road clubs? I'm a member of warmachines702.

OP
OP
jair

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sweet, I'm all about wheeling. Been to a few mines while wheeling around Vegas but I wasn't into prospecting then so I never paid them much attention. But it was neat to see all the mines. Maybe one day we should go wheelin and do a little prospecting. Are you a member of any off road clubs? I'm a member of warmachines702.
we trail ride and were part of R jeeps when it started .

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys my son and me have been prospecting for several years, mostly the northern part of NV since we just moved to Las Vegas a year ago. We have explored around Nelson and the surrounding canyons and further south. The placer gold is very fine around Nelson. We're in the process of getting some hard rock samples assayed that we are hopeful about. Have thought about joining GSSN but just so used to venturing out alone. Would like to meet other prospectors though. Also like to lock into 4WD and just get out.

OP
OP
jair

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys my son and me have been prospecting for several years, mostly the northern part of NV since we just moved to Las Vegas a year ago. We have explored around Nelson and the surrounding canyons and further south. The placer gold is very fine around Nelson. We're in the process of getting some hard rock samples assayed that we are hopeful about. Have thought about joining GSSN but just so used to venturing out alone. Would like to meet other prospectors though. Also like to lock into 4WD and just get out.
interested in checking your rocks your self ? I have the assaying equipment for fire assaying and some chemical testing . I do it for my self and have done some for my brother and friends out of Washington state . Always interested in meeting others that enjoy the same things . My wife and I go out when we can .

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would definitely like to learn how to do my own assays. We have placer mined for many years but are just learning how to hardrock. My son thinks we are definitely into some good gold. I am a bit skeptical as it looks like mostly pyrite with some hydrothermal gold present. Should get our assay back next week - I hope my son is right about it. I would like to get together for sure as my wife would most likely go as well if there was another woman she could talk to since she hasn't met anyone here yet. She is still gaining her strength back from several surgeries over the years and I would love to see her get out and get some sunshine while we find GOLD. PM me when you have time.

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello kmoku23,
I usually go out on Saturdays with my son. He finally met a friend his age who is interested as well so I let them both go out which is great. Bad thing is I am stranded without my FJ Cruiser to get me into the field. Oh well, have a bunch of hard rock chippings to clean up on my patio before I being building a recovery sluice or perhaps invest in a bluebowl - not sure yet which route I will go. Likely the bluebowl since I am a very experience panner and can get my cons faster that way. There are alot of washes in the desert that contain gold. Most the gold around Nelson is very small since it has leached out of the hardrock. Have seen some small pickers but seem to be the exception in that area. Anyway, I would like to lock in the 4WD in the next couple of weeks (will be out of town next weekend) and can atleast help you learn what to look for and how to find the gold if it is around us when we are exploring. It is a vast desert and am quite certain the old timers didn't get it all - they didn't have the conveniences we have today so didn't cover the ground we are capable of covering. Send me a pm sometime and we can get something planned.

kmoku23

Dec 29, 2013
North Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello kmoku23,
I usually go out on Saturdays with my son. He finally met a friend his age who is interested as well so I let them both go out which is great. Bad thing is I am stranded without my FJ Cruiser to get me into the field. Oh well, have a bunch of hard rock chippings to clean up on my patio before I being building a recovery sluice or perhaps invest in a bluebowl - not sure yet which route I will go. Likely the bluebowl since I am a very experience panner and can get my cons faster that way. There are alot of washes in the desert that contain gold. Most the gold around Nelson is very small since it has leached out of the hardrock. Have seen some small pickers but seem to be the exception in that area. Anyway, I would like to lock in the 4WD in the next couple of weeks (will be out of town next weekend) and can atleast help you learn what to look for and how to find the gold if it is around us when we are exploring. It is a vast desert and am quite certain the old timers didn't get it all - they didn't have the conveniences we have today so didn't cover the ground we are capable of covering. Send me a pm sometime and we can get something planned.

Hi Scubaman2,

That would be cool. The more I can learn the better. I actually went to desert outfitters and bought a couple of their test sample bags just so I can see what gold actually looks like in the pan. Anyways, looking forward to hitting some trails and possibly finding some gold with you.

Pirate Vern

Greenie
Apr 29, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi All Just wanted to say I found out the GPAA has NO CLAIMS in southern Nevada... Reason? No Placer gold areas worth working... I have wanted to try the East side of the Newberry Mountains up along lake Mojave I understand that between the Lake and the Mountains is an Ancient river bed.. But again.. My understanding is it is ALL hard rock/ore mining.. PLEASE let me know if you have any luck..

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe gpaa has a claim called 4 star #1-9. It's in Clark county, just east of California state line. They also have one in Esmeralda county, but that's starting to become more the central part of the state. It's called goldust #1. It's supposed to be a very historic gold area.

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tried to pm you pirate Vern but I'm not sure if it went through. I have Coordinates if u need them

OP
OP
jair

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tried to pm you pirate Vern but I'm not sure if it went through. I have Coordinates if u need them
I pm' d Vern on the four star claim . I have been up there several years ago several times . Since then some one has put in a cell tower along the road used to get to the claim and has put up no trespassing signs on the road just off of Nippon rd . ( 164 ) . I was going to contact the GPAA but haven't yet .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread