GoldenEagle

Nov 2, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug 99 bottles

Greetings fellow T Netters, today I dug my first outhouse of a 1800 homestead in SW Minnesota. I used to let the weather tell me what I can or cannot do, But today I told the snow to wait Until I was done digging . To my surprise it listened. Right away I saw and knew that this was it. the one place I was going to begin finding something. after only the the first layer of ground I found shards of glass and broken pottery. So I kept digging down, down, down and began carefully clearing out 5 gallon bucketfuls of dirt. Finally, the mother-load at about 3 feet to 6 feet down. Bottle after full bottle was popping out. I dug for about 5 hours and found over 100 bottles. The bottles sizes range from teeny asprin size up to the big brown HI-LEX jug. If you know anything about bottles please shoot me an e-mail. This is my first time in the hole. Oh did I mention I found some small animal bones and kid's marbles. I am pooped and it is snowing at about an inch an hour it's time for some Hot Cocoa. I will clean the bottles and post them once again. did you know wrong end of the stick started in the outhouse.

"Anything not understood in more than one way is not understood at all"

Attachments

• bowl of bottles.jpg
    bowl of bottles.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 740
  • the pit.jpg
    the pit.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 664
  • the hole002.jpg
    the hole002.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 679
  • bowl of bottles.jpg
    bowl of bottles.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 740
Upvote 0
Re: Dug 99 bottles

:icon_thumright: Man you are hard core, congrats on such a good score. Please post the cleaned finds and I might be able to help to ID the age of some of them.
I don't dig bottles but I do dive for them and I have friends that have written books on bottles.
ZDD

I am working on it as I write, thanks for the help

:icon_thumright: Man you are hard core, congrats on such a good score. Please post the cleaned finds and I might be able to help to ID the age of some of them.
I don't dig bottles but I do dive for them and I have friends that have written books on bottles.
ZDD
[/quote]

Interesting collection of machine mold 2 seam screw top bottles. Your mates write books about these type of bottles ? How old do you think these bottles are? Thanks for sharing

tinpan

Nice! I moved from that area a couple years back and always love those old farmhouses that are still standing. I remember quite a few in North Mankato that I used to want to detect before I actually got mine and now itching to go back out there this spring.

Nice find my friend specially those bottles that are not of the screw cap type, don't do away with them they are sought after by many.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back