Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE IN REPLY #102! It appears that the example of the PB countermark on my coin was UNIQUE as of 2003--hoping for more information on whether any have been recovered since!

Hello All,

I am still shaking from the find I just made, even though some hours have passed. I had metal detecting dreams last night. Was surprised I didn't wake to find a dig hole in my mattress! :D

Went out with Diggergirl to a site where she wanted to dig an old bottle trash pit. I got that excavation process started with her, and left her there happily recovering bottles.

HPIM4169.JPG

But the cane fields were calling me, and I just couldn't wait to get the F75 fired up and get in there. I didn't have high hopes, because the signs were turn-of-the-century, which is usually a bust down here in South Louisiana, due to the economic destruction of the civil war and Reconstruction period, followed immediately by the collapse of the depression. Plus, I really prefer CW-era and earlier finds. Just more history there, and more interest to me.

At any rate, I got going and to my surprise dug a couple Civil War bullets right off (dopped burnside and a .69 cal round ball). Picked up an 1890 IH right on top of the ground that beeped at me as I walked by. But I wasn't prepared for what I dug next! It was a quarter of an 8Reales. I had wanted a Big 8 forever, and had seen Hill Billy dig FOUR of them in Old Kentucky, and my digging buddy down here dug one last year! While I was really happy for them, I wanted one for the collection.

Well...it gets better! The cut coin has the coveted Planter's Bank New Orleans counterstamp! One of these was featured in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine Best Finds issue this year, and they normally sell for $4,000-$6,000.00! An especially nice condition counterstamp of the same type recently sold for over $9,000: http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/4183

Enjoy the video and photos. I have a photo below of the Western & Eastern write-up in the Best Finds issue, but information on this rare counterstamp is readily available online as well.

Parts of three solid silver spoons:

HPIM4179.JPG HPIM4177.JPG HPIM4178.JPG

1890 IH was a nice surprise:

HPIM4180.JPG HPIM4181.JPG

Nice 1913 Barber Dime :)

HPIM4175.JPG HPIM4176.JPG

And the cut 8Reales:

HPIM4173.JPG HPIM4174.JPG

HPIM4172.JPG

The "PB" stamp is different on the one I dug than any others I've seen (an oval on mine vs a circle with chain border on the others). Wonder if that's a new variety of the counterstamp?

All the digs, not including the brass crappe (recycling!) and bucket of scrap iron. :D

HPIM4182.JPG

It's nice to finally hit a BIG find. I knew one of us would dig one sooner or later. Even though I still want to dig a gold coin, IMO this is better than a gold coin, not only in terms of value, but also in history.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 70
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whats to say that hasnt been said? I'll trade you mine for it :) Congrats buddy...........simply awesome. The word thats thrown around so loosely these days, awesome, but certainly applies here!!! now, I'm off to find mine ;)

The great thing about this hobby my friend, is that you will have a shot at something amazing--as long as you just keep digging.

I really value your friendship and I enjoy hunting with you. Thanks for going along on this great year and a half of digging we've just had.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Stealth digger

Jun 2, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO & minelab pro 25 pointer. Other items I carry with me are a Yaesu VX 7 radio, maglit XL 50 , classic swiss army knife, solid brass Zippo, Gerber saw & Knife.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very happy for you ! What a great lot of finds & congrats to you both.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the owner getting, if you sell or not?

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome. I would love to find any coin with a stamp on it.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I missed the party, congrats on your banner. That is one sweet counter stamped piece of the pie, extraordinary find. Art

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I missed the party, congrats on your banner. That is one sweet counter stamped piece of the pie, extraordinary find. Art

Thank you so much, my friend. Great to hear from you.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great find. La. has been good to you. All the spanish and seated coins not to mention the other finds you have made since moving there. Those cane rows have paid off. 8-)

Congrats on the find of a lifetime. Not only is this your best in 20 years but I can see this becoming the find of the year in the metal detecting community.

Good Luck My Friend.
Randy

Randy, I really appreciate your reply. How are things treating you up there? I wish I had been in AL longer. I know there's great stuff to dig up there. Hope you are getting a bit of it.

Best Wishes,

Buck

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the banner & your totally awesome find! What makes me feel really proud is that this banner find was found in the bayous of Louisiana!! :thumbsup:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That's truly an amazing find Buck! :occasion14:
What's amazing is that you even found it given how small it is and that it has the Planter's Bank New Orleans counter-stamp to boot!

A well deserved BANNER find! :notworthy:
Dave

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's truly an amazing find Buck! :occasion14:
What's amazing is that you even found it given how small it is and that it has the Planter's Bank New Orleans counter-stamp to boot!

A well deserved BANNER find! :notworthy:
Dave

Great to hear from you, Dave! The piece is the size of 1/4 of a silver dollar, so not a tiny cut coin like we're used to seeing. i.e., not a "sharp shin"

Cheers,

Buck

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! ​Congratulations BuckleBoy!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great to hear from you, Dave! The piece is the size of 1/4 of a silver dollar, so not a tiny cut coin like we're used to seeing. i.e., not a "sharp shin"

Cheers,

Buck

I saw how large it was when you found it in your video, great video by the way! :thumbsup:
I guess I thought that when these 'pieces of eight' were cut that they would be fairly small :icon_scratch: , but not so in this case. Sounds like your find holds a lot of $ value. Personally, I sell 90% of what I find, the rest I keep or donate to the original landowners or to the local library for display purposes.

Congrats again my friend!
Dave

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
You suck !Game is on now, Hill Billy Beeotch is on the way, if you see foot prints in dem cane fieeelds u no it b me.

I think I have us a Privy dig set up for your wedding gift, it's one special place too, on dem books if you no whut Im sayn, DG will be really happy digging this one.
All I have to do is locate it, permission has been granted. I will be MD'n the 5 acre yard soon.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not normal to find the cut coins in Spain ... congratulations on the Banner!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions