Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE IN REPLY #102! It appears that the example of the PB countermark on my coin was UNIQUE as of 2003--hoping for more information on whether any have been recovered since!

Hello All,

I am still shaking from the find I just made, even though some hours have passed. I had metal detecting dreams last night. Was surprised I didn't wake to find a dig hole in my mattress! :D

Went out with Diggergirl to a site where she wanted to dig an old bottle trash pit. I got that excavation process started with her, and left her there happily recovering bottles.

HPIM4169.JPG

But the cane fields were calling me, and I just couldn't wait to get the F75 fired up and get in there. I didn't have high hopes, because the signs were turn-of-the-century, which is usually a bust down here in South Louisiana, due to the economic destruction of the civil war and Reconstruction period, followed immediately by the collapse of the depression. Plus, I really prefer CW-era and earlier finds. Just more history there, and more interest to me.

At any rate, I got going and to my surprise dug a couple Civil War bullets right off (dopped burnside and a .69 cal round ball). Picked up an 1890 IH right on top of the ground that beeped at me as I walked by. But I wasn't prepared for what I dug next! It was a quarter of an 8Reales. I had wanted a Big 8 forever, and had seen Hill Billy dig FOUR of them in Old Kentucky, and my digging buddy down here dug one last year! While I was really happy for them, I wanted one for the collection.

Well...it gets better! The cut coin has the coveted Planter's Bank New Orleans counterstamp! One of these was featured in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine Best Finds issue this year, and they normally sell for $4,000-$6,000.00! An especially nice condition counterstamp of the same type recently sold for over $9,000: http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/4183

Enjoy the video and photos. I have a photo below of the Western & Eastern write-up in the Best Finds issue, but information on this rare counterstamp is readily available online as well.

Parts of three solid silver spoons:

HPIM4179.JPG HPIM4177.JPG HPIM4178.JPG

1890 IH was a nice surprise:

HPIM4180.JPG HPIM4181.JPG

Nice 1913 Barber Dime :)

HPIM4175.JPG HPIM4176.JPG

And the cut 8Reales:

HPIM4173.JPG HPIM4174.JPG

HPIM4172.JPG

The "PB" stamp is different on the one I dug than any others I've seen (an oval on mine vs a circle with chain border on the others). Wonder if that's a new variety of the counterstamp?

All the digs, not including the brass crappe (recycling!) and bucket of scrap iron. :D

HPIM4182.JPG

It's nice to finally hit a BIG find. I knew one of us would dig one sooner or later. Even though I still want to dig a gold coin, IMO this is better than a gold coin, not only in terms of value, but also in history.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 70
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You suck !Game is on now, Hill Billy Beeotch is on the way, if you see foot prints in dem cane fieeelds u no it b me.

I think I have us a Privy dig set up for your wedding gift, it's one special place too, on dem books if you no whut Im sayn, DG will be really happy digging this one.
All I have to do is locate it, permission has been granted. I will be MD'n the 5 acre yard soon.

Haha, get yer redneck butt down here and dig some cane fields with us! :D

I'm excited about that Privy dig, and DG is too! I think you will make a banner find on that property. Mark my words.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy for you, buddy! That's amazing!!

Great to hear from you, my friend! You out diggin much? Give a ring sometime so we can catch up.

Best Wishes,

BB

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That detail has already been arranged. See my PM to you.

I thought I knew the answer, but I hoped you would share it with all those that hide their best finds, thinking that the greedy owners will take it from them. Your story should not be hidden but celebrated. You know how I like to prove those people wrong & anyone new to the hobby can read your story & learn from your example.:thumbsup: You owe it to the 'good name' of this great hobby before the TV proves otherwise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I knew the answer, but I hoped you would share it with all those that hide their best finds, thinking that the greedy owners will take it from them. Your story should not be hidden but celebrated. You know how I like to prove those people wrong & anyone new to the hobby can read your story & learn from your example.:thumbsup: You owe it to the 'good name' of this great hobby before the TV proves otherwise.

True enough. In my case, the find was ethically resolved with the owner. Most of my hunting relies on a verbal agreement that I can "keep what I find." But out of courtesy, I think a find of this nature bears mention to the owner, which is what I did.

Regards,

Buck

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That detail has already been arranged. See my PM to you.
What has it got to do with any body, what the owner gets, this is between you and the owner and no body else. People should mind there own.

SS

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow Will, you really hit the home run with that coin! :icon_thumright: :hello2: :notworthy: It has to be a tough decision to determine if you should sell or keep it.... But no doubt you don't mind having the choice to make! :)

Congrats on your banner find!

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent well deserved find , it's good to see such a rare find found by someone that I know has total respect for the history and purpose behind all we search for.
Bill

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! I read it on our colonial group on Facebook, but I didn't know it was you! Congrats again on the find of a lifetime!

Joe1944

Jul 3, 2013
Rockland County, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I'm a long way off, my best so far was an 1848 Large Cent I just got today!

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh I've got fans- very cool counterstamp! the ones I've seen havnt had the side by side stamp though very interesting maybe yours is one of a kind I didn't know what I had until mark parker blew me away -- I really thought he was pulling my leg! thanks for the publicity I even had a hard time researching it on the net all I could get was auction pix and info from karl moltin or molton I have a hunch yours is very very rare wow and in good shape

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill keep my eye on you buckle boy your around my neck of the woods do you or have you been to the club in southeast La is it slidell? I've looked it up before and they meet on the first Mondays of the month id like to go since I work in Robert La at the walmart distribution for groceries sat. sun. and Mondays I could head on down maybe meet you one day

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are super sweet finds - makes this newbie salivate waiting for the next hunt!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plumbcrazy

Sep 2, 2013
South Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your find! I am new to relic hunting and live in Houma. I was wondering if you could tell me where you are located and possibly give me some advice on digging in South Louisiana?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your find! I am new to relic hunting and live in Houma. I was wondering if you could tell me where you are located and possibly give me some advice on digging in South Louisiana?

Sounds like might bump into you down here at some point! My advice is learn everything you can about the history, get the permission, and find the sweet spots.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP,

This is the only example so far that I have seen with the counterstamps on the same side. Most actually have a stamp on both sides, which was a spacing issue perhaps, but also really because these were "emergency coins" issued by a bank, and they wanted the stamp to be obvious on both sides of the coin.

Quite possible, but I hope not because I guess it means the dirt is stuck on there pretty good.

BB... Just another note on the stamp being on the same side.... This is likely just a spacing issue, as you can see on the other pic the coin would not have the room to put both on the same side. I'm curious if other larger examples that have the space, were also be marked on both sides. As far as countermarks go I believe it is more common to have multiple stamps on the same side than putting them on both, and it makes sense to do it that way because the mark usually affects the opposite side of the coin... not that the person would be concerned with the undertype, but could also affect the already stamped countermark. It just seems to make more sense to put both on the same side when possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread