Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went down to Maryland to a Civil War camp site I've been detecting for the past 8 months. I got a good signal behind some sheds, I dug my Sampson shovel in and popped out some dirt, then got down on my knees to investigate more closely. Just as I got to my knees what do I see? Yellow Jackets and they're not happy! I got up and ran as fast as I could and luckily only 3 followed me and I sustained only 1 sting to the top of my head. I realize that the outcome could have been a lot worse had I not recognized the danger and acted quickly, so be careful out there and be ready to move fast if you have too.

After I got away from the bees, I continued my hunt and was able to find 6 bullets including 1 pulled bullet from this 1/4 acre site that has produced more than 120 bullets, 4 NY state buttons and 1 Eagle Breast plate.

20140723_084603.jpg 20140723_084624.jpg

Upvote 14

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds... That's a lot of bullets buddy. What a spot you got.

My son-in-law last summer stepped on a nest of yellow jackets while we were going back to a cave I found to show him. He was about 25-30 yds. behind me and started running towards me yelling to me to get them OFF of him. I stayed 25-30 yds. ahead of him also. Kind of like the "bear story".... you don't have to outrun the bear just your buddy. But he was stung 15-20 times though. Then he asks me why I ran.... there's just no hope for some people.

DavidGC

Jun 25, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are lucky. I was out doing some pre-hunting season scouting a few years ago when the ground under me collapsed. I found myself with one leg up to the knee in the ground. You guessed it -- a giant yellow jacket nest. I started getting stung immediately. I ran, swatting yellow jackets as I went, many of them had gotten inside my clothing. I kept feeling like I was getting stung on my belly as I walked home. When I got home (about 1/2 mile away) and stripped out of my clothes and two yellow jackets flew out. I had over 30 stings.
Let's be careful out there!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went down to Maryland to a Civil War camp site I've been detecting for the past 8 months. I got a good signal behind some sheds, I dug my Sampson shovel in and popped out some dirt, then got down on my knees to investigate more closely. Just as I got to my knees what do I see? Yellow Jackets and they're not happy! I got up and ran as fast as I could and luckily only 3 followed me and I sustained only 1 sting to the top of my head. I realize that the outcome could have been a lot worse had I not recognized the danger and acted quickly, so be careful out there and be ready to move fast if you have too.

After I got away from the bees, I continued my hunt and was able to find 6 bullets including 1 pulled bullet from this 1/4 acre site that has produced more than 120 bullets, 4 NY state buttons and 1 Eagle Breast plate.

You're lucky. I was stung 23 times by a swarm of those angry little critters that I had the misfortune of running into.

Once you get stung once, they release a powerful pheromone that alerts the rest of them to swarm and attack to the death (their death). You must have ran pretty fast to get away with just one sting. That's like dodging a bullet.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey while the subject is up here, what does a ground yellow jacket nest look like?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stung in the forest and almost lost my life before I got to the hospital. My buddy and I ran over a ground nest in his homemade mud buggy. I got stung a bunch of times and by the time I got out of woods my throat had almost swollen shut. I managed to get to the er as I was going in and out of consciousness and got shot up and quickly came out of it. From that point on I carry an epi pen. Sometimes I'm hours from any civilization or on an island. That's all it would take and it would be all over. So take this seriously everyone. It can be the difference between your family seeing you again or you losing your life to a few bee stings. All the best , Abe

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Most everyone that has been detecting the woods long enough has encountered these angry yellow jackets. I am more fearful of yellow jackets than I am of poisonous snakes. I am constantantly scouting the ground ahead of me looking for the tell tell sign of them flying around close to the ground.

I have finally learned to hold on to my equipment as I run like a school girl to get away from these devil bees. Nothing worse than having to wait an hour to recover your detector or shovel while the swarm calms down.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my worst yellow jacket incident, involved walking thru the woods and stopping unknowingly at the edge of a just dug up nest. Hearing the buzzing, I looked down to see that my legs were crawling with yellow jackets and away I ran, right back thru the stand of pine saplings I had just come thru! on the other side of the stand of pine, I looked down and saw that they were all gone and thought to myself, Wow, 1st time to not get stung! Wrong! as I turned to walk off, the first sting hammered me, inside my crotch and thru my underwear! I slapped as hard as I could and then had my pants jerked down so that I could kill the little monster and I did but not before he got me about four times. by the time I got back to the house, I was walking very bow legged and gave everyone a big laugh... and I still had kids!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bullets there, good thing you got away ok from the wasp! Those big bullets almost never turn up out in my area, only ever found one of those ringed bullets, and one larger musket type ball. Typical old lead projectiles out here are 32 caliber musket balls. On the EpiPen evidently you cannot get one of those pens without a prescription in most places, an item like this for an emergency, should be an over the counter item in my opinion! I've seen news postings where people have died because pharmacist will not issue them, without a prescription.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Once you get stung once, they release a powerful pheromone that alerts the rest of them to swarm and attack to the death

Yellow jackets dont die after stinging something,they can sting you as much as they like until their pain juice is used up.:laughing7:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some nice bullets and quite a lot to find at one time! Glad you escaped the swarm of little buggers,those stings hurt like you know what. I got several stings one year while gardening and they had nested in the ground underneath a little bush.

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would scare me to death...my fear is bees! I got stung once in the hand,when leaving after playing tennis. There was a hurricane prob a week before I went to play. we were swatting them as we played with our rackets and notone got me till I was leaving! I rubbed an onion on the sting when I got home and ittoiok the pain away bigtime!
I hope I never run into a bunch of bee's! HH

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bullets there, good thing you got away ok from the wasp! Those big bullets almost never turn up out in my area, only ever found one of those ringed bullets, and one larger musket type ball. Typical old lead projectiles out here are 32 caliber musket balls. On the EpiPen evidently you cannot get one of those pens without a prescription in most places, an item like this for an emergency, should be an over the counter item in my opinion! I've seen news postings where people have died because pharmacist will not issue them, without a prescription.
You basically almost have to die like me to get a prescription evidently. And you best have insurance because they are not cheap.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had a nest in my back yard - I pushed a lawn mower over the hole, 10 minutes later I was bee free!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
30 minutes ago, I just found a hornet's nest in a mound of broken concrete where many people in my little town walk their dogs. Luckily I and my dog got away without a sting, so I came home, got a can of spray and went back. Sprayed the nest thoroughly twice and left. As I left, a guy pulls in so I did the neighborly thing and turned around to tell him about the hornets. I got a lecture about how THEY have a right to live too!

Sorry to rant and divert the post. Nice old lead. Hope you can get more from the site.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the South West we have killer bees and another version, a large fat European bee. Now hiking up a very steep slope one day my dogs stirred up a bees nest in the ground. The large bees were bouncing off me, I was not getting stung. To my surprise it was just too cold for them I figure. There was no running anywhere, as the going was slow. I got lucky. Glad it wasnt the killer bee's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread