Dumb a$$es at the park

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
Just wanted to know.... Does the smart a$$es at the park while you fellow MD'ers are hunting always seem to say.."find any gold? " How annoying.. I feel like saying no DUMB A$$ ,I'M ACTUALLY LOOKING FOR SILVER COINS. But they probably don't even realize that if they had a handful silver quarters they'd have a wallet full of money... Let alone how to tell if a coin is silver...

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you call them *******es? Most people are genuinely curious or just making conversation. Most people have no idea what metal detecting is about. I get asked that question all the time, and not once have I thought they were being a "*******".

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol @ this

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you call them *******es? Most people are genuinely curious or just making conversation. Most people have no idea what metal detecting is about. I get asked that question all the time, and not once have I thought they were being a "*******".

Those r the people we dnt want to them to know what were looking for. Thats why I started wearing head phones I can ignore people when they try to talk to me.

OP
OP
jayg

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
I can tell the difference between the lady that was genuine and a smart a$$. I actually talked to her for a few minutes. But the late teen early twenty was punk. I call it as I see it. If your your wrong I'll tell you, if I'm wrong I'll admit it and apologize

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
yeah, it's annoying, but .... I wouldn't go so far as to call them names under my breath (although I probably have when not in a good mood! haha). If their little kids, I do as dholland says, and pretend I can't hear them. They wise up, and tell each other " ..oh... he can't hear you ... he's got those things on" haha. If they're adults, and someone comes up and asks "what are you looking for?". I just say "metal", and go back to my business :)

Sometimes it can be real annoying, when pickens are good (because I want to maximize my time detecting, NOT be talking to strangers about "how deep it goes" and "what's the best thing you've ever found", etc...). Which is why I've gotten to where I do most all of my detecting at night nowadays. So peaceful, so serene. No one to gripe, no to wonder if I'll leave holes or if it's allowed, no one to ask how deep it goes, etc... :)

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huh... I guess there is reason to walk around looking as if you just mugged an air traffic controller.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually take a minute to stop and talk to people. Always hoping for a possible invite to hunt someplace new. Anyway, I did have a run-in with a dumb-a$$ recently. I was hunting a spot and this lady comes up to me and asks "WHAT are you doing?" in a very nasty and demeaning manner. I smiled and said "I'm looking for coins." She rolled her eyes at me and turned to walk away but then stopped and came back with "Do you have permission to be doing THAT"? Acting like I was some errant toddler digging up HER yard. I just smiled again said "I sure do". Now, what I really wanted to say was "why don't you go back into your section-8, government vouchered crap hole and wait for your next food stamps which my taxes are paying for." But I resisted the urge.

Oh, and people ask me all the time what I'm finding. My answer is always the same, regardless of location or finds. I say "Just a some trash and a few pennies so far."

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my first public park to MD today! I was a little self-conscious at first, but I had a hat, sunglasses, and headphones, and quickly felt invisible. I heard a few random people comment on how they wish they had brought their detector, but only a few guys approached me to ask about what cool things I have found. I had heard its better to downplay any finds, but all I have found in my limited experience is clad coins, so I didn't care about sharing that.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol I had a 8 year old kid following me around throwing zinc pennies in front of me the last time I was out. After about 15 minutes his grandmother finally put a stop to it! I tried my best to act surprised to find them. It was April fools day after all. Couldn't have tolerated it much longer.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I had a 8 year old kid following me around throwing zinc pennies in front of me the last time I was out. After about 15 minutes his grandmother finally put a stop to it! I tried my best to act surprised to find them. It was April fools day after all. Couldn't have tolerated it much longer.

Nice job keeping it together, I may have resorted to returning fire.

downrigger47

Greenie
Apr 1, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
ACE250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job keeping it together, I may have resorted to returning fire.

That's why I detect in the woods the farther away from people the better. when I first got a detector I used to go to this huge park and was always bothered good park for a lot of clad but what a hassle. I research maps and such now I'm just bothered by ticks Mosquitos in the summer.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, down here we have a sure cure for anything. We tend to eat a lot of refried beans(nearly every meal) and passing gas continually is the result. Works great at the park or beach and seems so natural out in nature to ventilate and relax. It pretty much keeps people, all people, from coming too close when they hear or get wind of you. Works on park rangers out there too, especially the female ones. I know I've overmedicated when the cat won't sleep with me and I've gotten used to being referred to as that disgusting, old man...

tonyc10k

Sep 7, 2012
Georgetown ky
Detector(s) used
Minelabs equinox 800, whites classic ID, bounty hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt alot of parks and kinda developed a scale for talking with ppl who come to bug me
Young kids I tell them looking for aliens
Teen to older punks I tell them I'm digging up the trash from the park to,make it a cleaner place
Older interested ppl I tend to talk to and tell I'm mainly finding everybody trash and Pennies.
I don't mind talking with ppl I think more ppl should know how good detecting is for the environment by removing all the trash

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is confusing to me. When most people see folks metal detecting they think they are looking for gold. Metal Detector/Gold kinda go hand in hand. When peeps ask me if I find any silver or gold I don't get mad, I genuinly get happy that they are interested in something I am doing.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt alot of parks and kinda developed a scale for talking with ppl who come to bug me
Young kids I tell them looking for aliens
Teen to older punks I tell them I'm digging up the trash from the park to,make it a cleaner place
Older interested ppl I tend to talk to and tell I'm mainly finding everybody trash and Pennies.
I don't mind talking with ppl I think more ppl should know how good detecting is for the environment by removing all the trash
I had my MD by a creek and saw 2 guys cleaning out their sluce and panned the black sand. I Casual/politely said: How'd ya do? They both look tired and said when they got to some flakes, WELL, Got About 75 cents worth! His Buddy replied: Yea (As he opened a beer.) I saw it was not a good day, I said good luck and backed away & took off. Oh Well, Ya win some & lose some. Now when people ask me I just tell them I find a lot of junk. and they mostly say: Oh.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Those people don't bother me a bit. To be honest, it's the dumb-a$$ dog owners that that I have a BIG problem with.

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you!!! LEASH LAWS WERE CREATED FOR A REASON PEOPLE. I say this as I stare down at my left hand and gaze at 2 large K9 teeth scars from when I was 4yrs old.
Imagine me digging up a plug and then suddenly *growl bite bark bite* "Omg fluffy nooooooo!!!!" KACHING goes the 2013 suit.
Those people don't bother me a bit. To be honest, it's the dumb-a$$ dog owners that that I have a BIG problem with.

OP
OP
jayg

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
one thing I want people to know.I was most certainly not talking about kids. I have two daughters that are 11 & 7 . I have no problem letting kids watch or even help. The other day my daughters were gone up north visiting their mother. Two of their friends stopped by and asked if they were home. I said no they will be back in a couple of days. Then they asked can we hang out with you. Sure I said. If the neighborhood kids want to hang out with me and watch me md,it's cool with me. It's a lot easier than basketball lol. which I also play with my daughters and their friends. I'm mainly talking about punks that run their mouth..aka dumb a$$es

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread