DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would really like to see this one solved. So many have been found and in so many varieties that it was obviously a commonly used and discarded item for many years - but what and when?

DCMatt

Upvote 0

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This is just my attempt at contributing here. I went through the search link posted by nhbenz and dug through all the posts I could find. Of the 17 people I found who had found some variation of these, I was able to determine at least the state in which the object was found for 16. I also found the city for many. So I made a little map of where these have been reported. I put the dot near the city where possible, and otherwise just tried to put it near the middle of the state/not covering up the name. Other than the Kansas outlier I think this map shows an interesting pattern. Maybe it will help?

EDIT: I'm updating the map as people post here.

map.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Great research mcl. You can add Nashville to your list as I have dug at least 3 of them around here and a buddy of mine has also found a few also. I Still don't know what they are?

Upvote 0

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Great research mcl. You can add Nashville to your list as I have dug at least 3 of them around here and a buddy of mine has also found a few also. I Still don't know what they are?

Thank you, I've updated the map to show a dot for each of you.

If anyone else found one of these feel free to chime in as a dot in your location could be one I added for someone else.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I kind of like the idea that it might be a key from an old manual typewriter.
Someone in one of the earlier threads suggested that - so I can't really take credit for the idea.

Anybody know the "typical" diameter of an old typewriter key?
The bevel along the side doesn't particularly bother me (assuming typewriter key).
The underside attachment (if that's what it is?) is a bit perplexing, but I really don't know how such letter keys were attached in the first place.
So, I'll withhold judgment on that for now.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that, if this thing is a typewriter key, why haven't other letters been found? Also, if you do an image search for keys you will find that they are smooth and the letter is not raised. Could these possibly be from some type of Thomas Edison product?

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that, if this thing is a typewriter key, why haven't other letters been found? Also, if you do an image search for keys you will find that they are smooth and the letter is not raised. Could these possibly be from some type of Thomas Edison product?

Now there's an idea there were Edison batteries

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an Edison battery Note the discs on the top

Attachments

• 1457752430560.jpg
    1457752430560.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you're right I am thinking the Edison E would be fancier

Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug one a few years back in Williamsburg, Va. I don't have a pic handy but it was the thin copper/brass ish material raised E with rounded edges.

Upvote 0

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
FYI, I added a blue dot to the map. This represents the location of two separate companies people have suggested in other threads might be responsible for these objects. The first is Eberhard Manufacturing Company, which has made a wide variety of products since the late 1800s including horse tack/harness hardware, auto body parts (especially frame parts, hitches, door hinges and door latches), locks, and clips. The second is called Empire Plow Company, which as you might expect makes farming implements. Oddly enough both are located in Cleveland, Ohio, which is an odd geographic location considering where the finds are popping up on the map. Either way, I will add that the Eberhard company in particular is a good lead if for no reason other than because the circle E matches their logo exactly. Here are a couple of clippings from the 1900 decade that attest to this:

eber1906.png

eber1909.png

I dug one a few years back in Williamsburg, Va. I don't have a pic handy but it was the thin copper/brass ish material raised E with rounded edges.

Thanks for posting, I had a dot for you but it was in Maryland -- changing it to VA tightened up the grouping even more than before.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just my attempt at contributing here. I went through the search link posted by nhbenz and dug through all the posts I could find. Of the 17 people I found who had found some variation of these, I was able to determine at least the state in which the object was found for 16. I also found the city for many. So I made a little map of where these have been reported. I put the dot near the city where possible, and otherwise just tried to put it near the middle of the state/not covering up the name. Other than the Kansas outlier I think this map shows an interesting pattern. Maybe it will help?

EDIT: I'm updating the map as people post here.

View attachment 1284297

well this one is from james island charleston sc

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I came across a photo with Henry cartridge cases from the 1860s - the bases had been removed and turned into buttons. The letter H logo and size, design looked a lot like some of these letter E discs so I did some poking around and found the Eley Bros. used a letter E mark on their cartridges. Here are some examples:

http://22box-id.com/world/England.pdf

ELEY BROS. LTD. The history of this manufacturer dates back to 1828 making them not only the
largest manufacturer in England, but also the oldest. Their main offices were in London. They probably
first were known just as Eley Bros., but no.22 boxes are known from that era. They were one of the leaders
in the introduction of smokeless and semi-smokeless powders. In 1918 they were merged with Kynoch
Ltd., Nobel Industries, Birmingham Metals and Munitions, and Kings Norton to form the new Nobel
Industries Ltd.

Attachments

• Eley2.jpg
    Eley2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 115
  • eley6.jpg
    eley6.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You can add a dot to Henderson County NC.

Here's an updated map to reflect a few additions and one I took off due to the general consensus that it is not related to the others.

map2019.png

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions