Earbuds vs. full size headphones

D

dugupfinds

Betoxyz68 said:
Has anyone tried Radio Shack's Earbuds ($19.99 + $3.99 for 1/8 adapter)? I'm new to MD'ing and reading some of these posts people seem to complain on full size headphones getting too hot during the summer.

"Noise-Isolating Earbuds with In-line Volume Control"

Thx :)

Never use headphones anymore, it turn out too expensive, as it didn't matter how much I spent on them they always broke.

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Hi betoxyz68.
Full size, They cut out noise, keep your ears warm in winter
and you can pick up faint signals you might otherwise miss.

HH dave.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dugfinds

3 Words

KOSS LIFETIME WARRANTY

Costs $6.00 Posatage & Handling
to have them repaired or replaced.

D

dugupfinds

jeff of pa said:
dugfinds

3 Words

KOSS LIFETIME WARRANTY

Not $6 in the UK. Still wouldn't bother using them as the wires get in the way.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dugfinds said:
jeff of pa said:
dugfinds

3 Words

KOSS LIFETIME WARRANTY

Not $6 in the UK.

OH YEA ! Your Right !

D

dugupfinds

I know most people use headphones & I know the benefits. So don't listern to me as its just my opinion on them. As you have stated the big ones can be too hot in the Summer, nice in the winter but can make your ears hurt if you wear them too long.

Good luck & happy hunting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Betoxyz68 said:
Has anyone tried Radio Shack's Earbuds ($19.99 + $3.99 for 1/8 adapter)? I'm new to MD'ing and reading some of these posts people seem to complain on full size headphones getting too hot during the summer.

"Noise-Isolating Earbuds with In-line Volume Control"

Thx :)

If you Try them out, Be sure To Update us on your Opinion.

Personally, I like the Big Headphones that Cover my Ears.
And are Made for Detectors.

OP
OP
B

Betoxyz68

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2007
Thanks for your inputs.... Since I live in Houston 95+ deg. weather is not uncommon during the summer and I'm concerned on the large headphones getting too hot.

Good Huntin...

D

dugupfinds

Roadquest said:
You will find more with the headphones...

Only if you swing over something at the right height, right conditions & the right site.

D

doyboy

Got to wear the large headphones, dudes! If not, you will miss 85% of the deeper coins.

D

dugupfinds

doyboy said:
Got to wear the large headphones, dudes! If not, you will miss 85% of the deeper coins.
My hearing isn't that bad thanks

D

doyboy

Dug, you won't know how many coins you have walked over, unless, another detectorist, with headphones, followed your steps. Some of those Romans are weeping for a home.

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
I just got a pair of full size headphones. Now I can hear deep targets. It's a totally new sound.

How can I describe it? It's like a faint muffled tone. A dime at seven inches sounds really soft. Then as you dig and get closer, the sound gets
crisper and louder.
I missed many many things with my walkman type headphones.

Maybe the best thing would be to find a local dealer and try a few different brands.

Ridley

sqzdog

Dec 28, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's TDI
Anyone ever come up with the concept for wireless headphones for the MD? That would be cool!

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I just got a set of the Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones as a present. What a difference a good set makes. I was using a thirty dollar pair that White's makes but there is no comparison. I think they are about $300.00 bucks but they were a gift. Nice headphones if you can swing the cost.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I'm not sure I follow this completely. The faint noises you'd miss without headphones...what faint noises are these? Are you talking about the change in threshold, or the faint hum over a deep target in all-metal mode? (true all-metal...where all you get is the single tone/threshold noise over targets).

I use a fisher CZ7, and there is no option...I must use headphones as this unit does not have a speaker. I just use walkman type headphones because of comfort, heat, weight, and so that I can hear sounds in my environment as well. I hunt in disc mode (3 tones, low for iron, medium for aluminum/gold/nickel, and high for copper/silver/clad). I haven't ever heard a very faint "beep" in this mode. So, are there beeps I'm missing? Or are we just talking about all metal mode here?

Not to carry this too far off topic, but while I hit on the subject... Does anyone still hunt in the old-fashioned all metal mode anymore? I've never done it, and can't see how. When I go to that mode on my machine, I hear noises all over. I guess there's so much junk in the ground around here. In one sweep, I can be sure to hear 3 to 15 targets in that mode in most any place I hunt. How do you determine which ones are coins or something worth digging? I understand that there is more depth gained from the machine in that mode, but if I can't discern anything from the noises, it's not doing me any good. If there is, however, a way to do this, I would love to know! I am hunting some sites where there are very old coins, but they are deep and it takes a lot of work and just as much luck to get a beep off of one.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheese, the tiny sounds that are available to you aren't being relayed to you because of the settings on the CZ. You should turn down the boosted Volume and back off the Sensitivity a bit for the deepest depth you detector is capable of. Granted the earbuds are comfortable, but they are not as good as Grey Ghost or the other high quality phones made for metal detectors. The faint sounds are sometimes a slight change in threshold, not a solid BEEP!

When in an area where you know there are old coins it is to your benefit to use All Metal and cherry pick or use a sniper coil and very little discrimination. Remember the CZ will make a tiny noise on a deep target and it won't show up on the screen accurately.

HH,
Sandman

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Cheese,
Try to borrow a pair of full size metal detecting headphones and go over a familiar hunting spot.

That's the only way you'll know what the CZ7 really sounds like.
My Whites detector has no display, so I rely on the sound alone. Now I have a whole new bunch of sounds I literally never heard it make before.

I'm not in all metal mode. The coins can barely be heard. They sound like "someone whispering from under a pillow".

That's the best way to describe it. Some other sounds are faint chirps and double clicks. Static discharge from tiny objects way down deep.
I simply couldn't hear them with the walkman style headphones.

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread